47. The act is up

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Iris's POV

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I can explain,"

A humorless laugh escaped before I could stop it. "Explain what, how you kept the fact that my mother wanted to see me a secret,"

He moved closer into the room not at all worried still calm and in control as if he hadn't just got caught keeping secrets from me, I honestly must be crazy because that made me angrier.

"Please do because I'm honestly losing my patience,"

"Let's just calm down-,"

"Don't tell me how to feel Donatello you had no right,"

"I'm legally your guardian I was protecting you, do you honestly think that you were mentally ready to face her now, if ever because I honestly don't think you are, and based on these past few months you can't blame my judgment-"

"Your poor judgement isn't to blame it's you, that wasn't your choice to make it was never your choice to make," my voice slightly raised towards the end of my sentence.

"I'm sorry I decided for you but I'm not sorry for my decision,"

My head was filled with anger and confusion that all just spoke at the same time, too many. My mother wanted to contact me, wanted to see me. She wanted me.

I wasn't thinking rationally, I never did when it came to her because for some fucked up reason I always held her to a different standard.

It's not her fault, it never was.
She didn't mean it, she never did.
She can't help it, she never can.

Excuses after excuses, every time she messed up I was there cleaning her slate giving her a blank one each time hoping that this time she'll get it right.

But this time I didn't need to clean her slate, I didn't even need to hand her a new one she wanted to see me. She found me, she reached out it was her doing. She wanted to try.

And Donatello stopped her.

"I'm going to see her,"

"No, you're not,"

"Yes I am, you can't tell me what to do you, you can't keep her from me," my voice cracked on the last word and I hated myself for it.

I'm not sad, I'm angry. I'm not going to cry.

"Iris what good will seeing her do,"

He doesn't get it.

"She's mine, we share the same blood,"

"Iris blood doesn't mean a thing,"

"Yes, it does,"

In the background, the door opened.

"Blood didn't stop her from abusing you, her only child,"

"That's not fair, you don't get to use that against me,"

"Stop being delusional and think, she doesn't care about you someone who cared about you wouldn't do that,"

He's wrong, he's so wrong and it's not fair.

"She loves me," he let out a laugh as if to mock me.

Nazaire tried, "Why don't we-"

"No," I cut him off, "She does care, she's always loved me she just didn't know how it's not her fault,"

"Now you're just making excuses for her,"

"Because she didn't have to learn to love me," I shouted, "she didn't have to convince herself that I was worth loving, she didn't have to get used to me being around, the way you guys did. And now she wants me back and all of a sudden that's not what you want,"

Tears were on my face I could feel them, I've never hated being sensitive more than now.

"Iris we do love you," Lorenzo started.

"Not the way you love each other,"

"What are you talking about,"

"You love me with whatever you have left, I get the scraps of what you've given to each other,"

"That's not true,"

"So when you adopted me, what it by choice, or were you just doing it out of obligation." I looked right at Donatello.

But he was quiet, they all were.

"You guys tolerated me, love just happened to be something that formed but it's easy to misplace, especially if I just step out of line,"

"Iris we're you're family," Val said as if he was so sure.

But I was already too deep, and I couldn't see past what I wanted. What I thought you needed to make a family.

"No, you're not,"

I walked out of the office into my room and got out of this stupid dress. Washed my face ridding myself of the make-up, I changed into some oversized jeans with a hoodie and climbed out of my window walking into the night to wallow in self-pity.

Why can't I ever let myself have something good?

-  x -

author's note: I hope you guys don't hate Iris, she's self-sabotaging and can't think clearly when it comes to her mother and her insecurities are showing.

But that means they'll be more bonding

Before the drama.

Also I've got the new brother story in the works, do you want a preview.