24. birthstones

"My dear friends, tonight we celebrate an alliance between our family and Marcel Gerard." Elijah spoke to the audience at the top of the staircase, Brynley next to him.

"Marcel, however, is unfortunately late." Brynley smiled, causing the audience to smile back.

"So until such a time as he graces us with his presence, let us all raise a glass and salute the glorious city of New Orleans." Elijah suggested, beginning to raise him glass.

"But before we do, my brother and I wish to acknowledge a painful truth. Our relationship with this city, and indeed with most of you, has been long and complicated." Klaus walked up to the couple, cutting him off. "We hope you will be put at ease knowing that we intend but a brief and peaceful stay. Let this evening be a rest bit from past grievances and an opportunity to form new friendships. Cheers."

"This is gonna be fun." Brynley mumbled, taking a sip of champagne.

-

"Tell me what it wants." Elijah demanded at a vampire that worked for the Hallow, Dominic.

"Well, the Hollow has lain dormant for a long time. It needs to feed." He shrugged.

Brynley crossed her arms, walking from behind Elijah and towards the vampire, an angry look on her face. "Oh, I'm so sorry that it's starving. Does it's diet have to include innocent children?"

"Only as hors d'oeuvres. It prefers the power channeled by the death of someone like you. Old, ancient, imbued with magic." He looked at Elijah before turning to Brynley. "Or you, though young, veins bursting with some of the most powerful magic on the world. Gold fairy magic, Hollis. But it needn't feed on either of you, your brother or niece or daughters or anyone else you care about. Marcel Gerard will do nicely."

"Why would I give you Marcel Gerard?" Elijah questioned.

"As patriarch, I'm sure you'll make the right decision on your family's behalf. But in the meantime, I'll take Vincent Griffith as a show of good faith. Marcel was business, but Vincent is personal." Dominic said. "He turned his back on the Hollow once, and now it's rather angry."

"Unfortunately, if I betray Vincent the covens will declare war on my family." Elijah sighed.

"Well, at least with the covens, it's a fight that you have a chance at winning. Regardless, my terms are set: Vincent now, Marcel later, and your family will be spared. What do you say? Do we have a deal?"

-

"Really? Was that necessary?" Brynley looked at Elijah, the two standing in their bedroom after the party.

The party was over, after Elijah decided to kill Dominic in front of the entire audience.

"I get that you lived during the times were public executions were all the rage, but we aren't in that time period anymore!" Her voice began to raise and Elijah sighed.

"Brynley, this monster wants to be reborn, it went after you, and it went after our daughters," Elijah looked at her. "What did you expect me to do?"

"Talk to me! We figure something out together!" Brynley replied. "We are trying to protect our children from monsters, Elijah, but that doesn't mean you have to become one!"

"This isn't us, you and I, we don't do that." She walked closer to him. "We talk and we compromise but we don't spill blood when it's not necessary, that's not us, it can't be."

"Okay," He whispered, standing up. "I'm sorry."

She bit her lip, looking at him, sighing, "There's four pieces to this thing, Hayley has one, we have to find the other three. Together."