09. act of betrayal

s3e8: the other girl in new orleans

"What was it, Tristan? Hmm? What is "Cepheus?" Elijah asked in the study. He and Brynley stood in front of Tristan, who sat in a chair, beaten.

"What's next? Charades? While you guys host the world's most messed-up game night, you got bigger problems?" Marvel scoffed as he walked in.

"Freya, would you mind dealing with this situation, please?" Elijah requested.

"Oh, no offense to your lovely sister, but you and I need to talk." Marcel cut him off. "I'm here on behalf of The Strix, and I'm not leaving without Tristan."

"Oh great, you're a errand boy for the Strix now," Brynley rolled her eyes.

"Elijah, look, the way I see it, you don't have a choice." Marcel spoke.

"Is that so?" Elijah replied sarcastically.

"How long before The Strix decide to come get their guy? And if they destroy half the Quarter in the process..." Marcel rambled and looked at Brynley. "Not to mention, your little girl could get hurt-"

"I can handle The Strix." Elijah cut him off.

"Oh, you can't even handle Tristan! He's about to OD on wolf venom, and the only thing that you can get out of him is-is Cepheus, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean." Marcel reminded. "The guy has been around for a millennium. He can withstand all your vampire mind-games. And if you end up killing him, we lose Rebekah for good."

"So what are you suggesting here, Marcel? I simply hand over this wretched fiend and stand idly by as you set him free?" Elijah said.

"If I take Tristan, make it look like I busted him out, I get in tighter with him and The Strix. I can find out where Rebekah is and keep them from declaring war on the Quarter if you trust me." Marcel sighed.

"I will not release that filth." Elijah denied.

-

Elijah walked through the courtyard, attempting to go up the staircase but Marcel stopped him. "Elijah! I'm not finished."

"Why don't you run along to your little friends and remind them that any attack on me is a really bad idea." Elijah suggested.

"That's not gonna work. They're as stubborn as you are." Marcel shook his head.

"So stay away from them, Marcel, before I interpret your behavior as an act of betrayal." Elijah replied.

"That's the thing, Elijah.." Marcel pulled out a stake. "See, I betrayed you before I even got here."

Elijah turned around to see many members of the Strix standing in about every entrance. Fear grew in the original's chest, knowing that his daughter was upstairs in the nursery and Brynley with Freya in the study.

Brynley watched as Freya walked around a weak Tristan, cashing another spell. "Somo ve de ver se, nat-"

Both the witch and the fairy turned around to see a member of Strix walk into the room. Brynley and Freya looked at each other with scared looks before the blonde made a fist with her hand, casting a pain spell. The vampire dropped to his knees unconscious just as Brynley heard the cries of her daughter from the baby monitor.

"Go, now!" Freya screamed and Brynley rolled off her bracelet, running towards the door. Aya grabbed her by the neck and vamp-sped her against the wall. Freya raised her hand and Aya let Brynley go, clutching her own head in pain.

Brynley ran out of the room and looked across the balcony, where the nursery was. She felt her heart stop when she saw two Strix vampires making their way to the room. She grew her wings and flew across the courtyard, landing on the other balcony.