14. birthplace of our sorrows

s3e17: behind the black horizon

a/n: hi so im like skipping the episodes that i think are irrelevant and don't think bryn needs to be in

A smile rose to Brynley's face as her eyes scanned the sign that welcomed them to her hometown.

"Welcome to Mystic Falls, Est. 1860"

The smile disappeared slightly when she realized her father wouldn't be there to greet her. Elijah glanced at her in the driver's seat, taking one of his hands off the steering wheel to hold her hand comfortingly.

She sat in the passengers seat while Elijah drove and Finn sat in the back. He had a frown on his face when he realized the town they entered.

"Of course. Mystic Falls. Birthplace of our sorrows." Finn groaned and Brynley rolled her eyes. "So, are we to drive around this entire pathetic town, hoping to run into my sister before Lucien murders her?"

The three of them were in the town because Lucien had taken Freya hostage along with Vincent.

"Kol has a plan." Elijah sighed.

"Kol and his ridiculous gambits." Finn replied.

Elijah rolled his eyes. "900 years in a box... and zero patience."

"It's all a joke to you, isn't it?" Finn scoffed. "900 years in a box" just rolls off your tongue as if the time passed without consequence. I assure you, it did not."

Brynley rolled her eyes once more before turning on the radio, raising the volume to a level where Finn's voice could no longer be heard.

-

"How will we know when or if this magic trick of Kol's works?" Finn asked as he and the soulmates stood next to the car, parked near the town square.

"He says you'll know." Elijah shrugged. "It's strange... The birthplace of our very misfortune, beyond that hill. Do you recall the first time we fled together, Finn?"

Brynley wasn't listening exactly, her eyes on the Mystic Grill that was across the town square.

"We were but children. Nothing but the clothes on our back, desire we had no idea how to control, and a father hellbent on erasing us from the earth."

"Klaus and Kol killed everything that moved, yet I was the one considered too dangerous to undagger?" Finn gasped.

Brynley walked off, towards the Mystic Grill. Elijah looked at her before looking back at Finn.

He began to walk, attempting to follow the fairy. "Despite their bloodlust, you were the poison that crippled-"

Finn grabbed his arm, stopping him and spinning him back around. "Poison? I anchored us!"

Brynley bit her lip, nostalgia rising in her chest as her hand landed on the door to the Grill.

She opened the door, a sad smile rising to her face at all the familiar scents filling her nose. Brynley walked over to a specific table that was right next to the door that led to the back area.

On the table, there were three sets of initials carved into the wood.

TL. MD. BF.

This was the table that she, Matt, and Tyler sat every day after school and any time they walked into the restaurant. She ran her fingers over the initials, smiling slightly.

Brynley turned away from the table, walking over to the right wall of the restaurant. There was a large cork board, filled with photos of happy customers in the restaurant.