27. our first moments

s4e10: phantomesque

"How's Brynley?" Freya asked as Klaus and Hayley walked into the Abattoir of the compound and Freya set up a spell.

"She's alive, I gave her some of my blood and the wound is mostly healed. She's on bed rest until further notice." Klaus answered.

"Have Evie and Elise seen her?" Elle questioned.

"We're waiting till they wake up." Hayley replied and looked at Freya. "Tell me Elijah's in there."

"I can't tell yet. I've been reaching out, but..." Freya sighed, running her hands through her hair.

"You're exhausted. Just take some time to gather yourself." Hayley suggested and Elle nodded.

"We've wasted enough time! My brother's soul is in that pendant, we need to find him and bring him back." Klaus rambled. "I don't want the girls to wake up and I don't have an answer for them about their father."

"Klaus, give her a moment to breathe." Elle looked at him.

"We failed him once already!" Klaus raised his voice.

"Klaus, enough!" Hayley shouted and Klaus finally gave it a rest. Freya sighed once more before closing her eyes, holding the pendant tightly in her hand.

"There's just... nothing. There's, there's nothing there." Freya whispered, holding back tears. "I think... I think he's gone."

"Try again." Klaus whispered.

"Klaus, I did try—"

"I am asking you to try again. I know he's in there." Klaus begged and looked at Freya.

The witch sighed and closed her eyes, holding the pendant once more. She chanted a spell and only looked more heartbroken when she opened her eyes again.

"This is not happening. For a thousand years, my brother and I have walked this Earth." Klaus shook his head, tears brimming his eyes. "Countless times, death has come for us and countless times, we've denied her. He's not gone! He can't be."

"What's going on?" Klaus turned around to see Evie and Elise walk in, worried looks on their faces.

"What are you two doing up?" Klaus asked, trying to give them a smile. "It's late, you two need to sleep."

Evie pushed past him, walking over to Freya and looking down at the pendant. Her eyes glowed gold and so did Elise's, who followed her sister over. Freya's eyes were closed and slowly chanting a spell, not feeling the two littlest Mikaelsons on either side of her.

The two sisters looked at each other before they each placed a hand on Freya's shoulder, closing their eyes. Evie winced when she heard screaming, the familiar tone of her father. She quickly opened her eyes again, pulling Elise away from the spell.

"Did you see that? Did you feel it?" Freya looked at her nieces.

"Daddy." Elise mumbled, tears in her eyes. "Why was he shouting?"

"He's in trouble." Evie whispered.

-

"Mommy!" Evie and Elise screamed as they ran into the bedroom, where Brynley sat up in bed. A smile rose to her face as the little girls jumped on the bed, hugging her tightly.

"My girls!" Brynley smiled, hugging them back.

"Are you okay?" Evie asked.

"Yes, I'm even better now that I've seen you two." She nodded, looking at her two daughters. "Have you two had breakfast?"