18. A total 180-

I take a breath as we ride the elevator down swiftly. The pack lounge was just a few floors down. When we enter I see people walking around.

"Heya boss." I see a tall man with light blonde hair and emerald green eyes chirp. He was shirtless, like literally every male here and ripped.

He towered over me but was probably a few inches shorter than either of my mates.

My mates...

The phrase distracts me a for a moment.

I time back in when his voice becomes hushed.

"Sir can we talk?" He asks, his eyes flicking to me.

"This is Liam. Our beta." Kole says. Liam smiles politely but it's tight and awkward.

Beta. That was the number two in the pack if I wasn't mistaken.

So he was their most trusted.

"Hi, Kathrine." I extend a hand and he shakes it.

"This way." Kole says, walking toward an office. We all three step inside.

"Go ahead." Kole prompts.

"We had someone try to invade our lands last night." He says, glancing at me again as though he weren't sure he should be sharing in front of me.

"Who?" I say, aim for sounding confident but truthfully I didn't feel like I should be here.

He shrugs and takes a seat. "We don't know yet. They breached onto the lands some of our men were patrolling and barely put up a fight when we caught them."

I frown with confusion.

Maybe they had been passing through and the guards had over reacted.

"A distraction?" Kole asks.

"Nothing else happened." He says. I snort. "Well then if it was a distraction it worked." I point out. He nods. "Touché." He chuckles, leaning back in his chair so far he seemed to be balancing in midair. 

I watch as he shoves a handful of chips in his mouth and chews thoughtfully.

"How many?" Nic asks. "Four. Three men and a woman. They are witches which is odd, no covens within a hundred miles at least?" He phrases it like a question, looking between the three of us.

"Witches." I drawl, trying to hide the surprise.

So witches were real.

"Yeah four." Liam says with a amused smile. I nod, clearing my throat and removing the look of awe on my face that was making them so amused.

"Right. Witches, just a Wednesday." I say. They chuckle.

"We need to know who sent them and why they were trying to spell past our barrier." Nic says.

"The barrier lets us know when a supernatural crosses into our lands." Kole explains.

I nod thoughtfully.

"Can't they just magic it down?" I probably sounded dumb but they didn't talk down to me.

"Not unless they created it or had blood of the witch who did. Or a ancestor of hers. And she's gotta be thousands of years old so she's probably gone. But witches are so inbred it's possible they had her blood. Maybe that was their plan." Nic muses, sending me a smile. I nod.

"Inbred?" I repeat with a frown. I was trying to not judge that.

"Yeah they believe magic is sacred and shouldn't be spread outside of a coven. But they're going extinct because of blood diseases. Plus if anyone's born with a disformity they're killed because they think they've been touched by the devil." Kolton says, shaking his head and chuckling at the sheer stupidity.