Chapter 58: Lost Memories

A soft knock causes me to stir in my sleep. I peel an eye open, my attention directed at the door.

"Come in," my voice is hoarse.

I watch tiresome, as a pale woman with vase-like curves saunters in. Her doe-eyes are alert and welcoming with orbs that almost match her jet black hair.

"Good morning miss Farrah," she comes close while withdrawing a hand from the pocket of her long white coat to shake mine. I sit up, rubbing my eyes in bemusement.

"Morning, miss..." my voice trails in confusion as I don't know how to address her.

"Dr. Liu!" she rushes politely. I extend my hand out to meet hers and we shake hands.

"Good morning Dr. Liu," I reiterate wearily. Part of me don't even know if I'm actually talking to someone right now or if I'm still sleeping. I recall Xavier telling me I have my own private doctor though. This must be her.

"Yes, good morning to you too," she greets for the second time. "I'm happy to see you're fully awake," she starts. I don't notice the black bag in her hands until she decides to open it. She withdraws a clipboard then sets it on my nightstand. Next, she pulls out a stethoscope.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to check your heart and breathing,"

I shake my head. "Not at all." My voice is faint but I sit up straighter, my thoughts on someone else now. Xavier.

I don't know why but the notion of him invades my head so naturally, I can't fight it. I think back to yesterday and how he bathed me, never once looking down. Silence engulfs me and my new helper as I muse over the fight I had last night with the man that tried to care for me.

Instinctively, my heart skips a beat. I feel flustered just remembering his cool hands against me. Where is he now? Is he home? Is he still upset with me? Why is it taking so long to listen to my heart?

"You're heart is racing," Dr. Liu says aloud.

"What?"

"Are you nervous? Panicked?" the confusion on her face let's me know that she's genuinely concerned. I force in a deep breath despite the ache in my chest.

The round end of her stethoscope moves across my chest again. I try to clear out my head. Quit thinking of him. Moments pass in what feels like eternal torment.

"I'm going to have you stand," she instructs abruptly.  My brows furrow. Am I in that much of an antsy? Pulling back the duvet, she helps me stand. Outside, morning birds chirp in sing song greetings. I want to lay underneath the sun's rays. Right now, I feel cold and weak.

"Take a deep breath," she places the diaphragm right above my heart again. I do as told, relaxing in her hold. "Good, another one," she instructs and I do as told.

Just then I see him standing in my doorframe. Instantly, my breath hitches. He had changed and even shaved. His skin glowed finely this morning. His once disheveled hair is raked back in neatness. My eyes trail over his white tank top and gray sweats. His concrete jaw is set in a solemn expression. Leisurely, he leans against the wall, crystal eyes studying and awaiting me. He's recklessly intimidating, yet he doesn't have the slightest clue.

Dr. Liu doesn't take in Xavier's presence but I do because I felt his presence before I even saw him.

"You're heart is racing again," she removes the stethoscope from my chest. "the beats are regular but the pace is almost volatile. Are you currently taking any allergy medications?"

Her voice is mute to me as I can't peel my gaze away from Xavier. Dr. Liu stops talking then follows my gaze. "Oh," she smiles slightly. "never mind then,"