Chapter 49: Say It

"But she's been here since...forever," Willow throws an arm up in the air to express dramatic effect, her bulged eyes now sullen.

I suck my teeth, gripping onto the couch pillow tighter than before.

This is your fault.

"Why'd she leave?"

The hair on the back of my neck stands and I feel as if Alice's invisible spirit is somewhere in the room, watching with keen eyes. I scratch my head, my brain's a blank canvas for an excuse.

"I don't know, life." I retort, guilt makes me feel as if I'm being accused.

Willow hums, a small frown forming on her lips. "What about Edwin?" She looks around in search.

"He's still here," I breathe out. Yet it feels as if he's avoiding me. Then again, when Alice was here, I never really saw him then. So this must be my mind, overwhelmed to conjure fake scenarios. "Somewhere."

"How far with your um, baby fever experiment?" I ask, wanting to change the subject.

Willow's cheeks ripen red. "It's not an experiment," she points a finger to correct me, "And it's going..."

"Going," I repeat. "Going where?" I play dumb although I know exactly what she means. I just need her to ramble.

"Here!" She exclaims ecstatic, a hand placed over her stomach.

I arch a brow. "That quick?"

"Well, not quite. I mean, I dunno. I haven't seen my cycle in weeks though, so that's a good sign."

I chuckle, speechless.

"Hakeem wants to hold back, says he doesn't think he'll have the time but I don't care. I want a baby and he can't buy me one, so we're making one," she grins a sinister smirk. "Every night." Her brows wiggle like worms squirming on a hot pavement.

I fake a puke and she throws a peanut at me.

"Oh please," she talks whilst munching on the light snack. "You probably do it more than me,"

I tuck a loose curl behind my ear, a stoic expression now masking my face.

No.

Just then, her phone chimes and Willow fetches it out. I watch her lazily as her eyes skim over her phone briefly just before she purses her lips. "Oh my goodness!"

"What?"

"It's 3:45," she speaks with urgency.

"So?" I furrow my brows, puzzled.

"My fertile window is at its highest during this time! Gosh, I gotta call Hakeem,"

She swings her legs off the couch, bending down for her shoes.

"You track your fertile window?" I get up too.

"You don't?" She sends me a quizzical expression. "Hand me my bag?" She motions to the table and I reach for her bag, passing it to her.

"Thanks," she scans the room quickly, giving herself a thorough check to make sure nothing's being forgotten.

I sigh not knowing if I want to laugh or just send her along her way.

Satisfied, she turns to me, licking her red stained lips dryly. "So I'm gonna-"

"I don't wanna know," I cut her off. "Just go." I laugh and she giggles. I walk her to the door, her heels clicking while my feet pad against the marble flooring. When we near the exit she spins around abruptly.