Chapter 21: Hidden Voice

"Farrah," a voice called. It was distant yet so near. I continue to dash through the forest, my hair blowing behind me. Above, the gray clouds thunder and clap with anger. Rain droplets fall with great speed. "Farrah," his voice called again. It was Romeo. He was calling to me, but I refused to answer. I continue to run, but it felt like I wasn't even moving. I look up, ahead of me stood Doug. His tall frame stands still in the depths of the woods. He doesn't move, but our eyes lock. His wet hair presses down all around his head. Even in this time of distress, he looked handsome. He gives a weak smile. My heart starts to ache. I run even harder, but I wasn't moving, a sudden realization. Suddenly, I'm pushed to the ground, hard and fast. Everything spins and all I see is black. My hands and arms start to bleed. The setting shifts to a dark room. I know this room, I thought. It brought an all too familiar feeling of despair. I heave, standing up from my fall. My hands and arms continue to bleed, but I could care less about them, because the sight before me made my heart stop. "No." I breathe.

I was standing in the same room Romeo carved me in. Bonded to the chair I was once tied in, Doug squirmed and struggled to set himself free.

Romeo's silhouette was ghost like. One minute he's there, then the next he's gone. But no matter where he moved, I could feel his presence in the room. I move towards Doug, but  frozen in place, my body stays stagnant. I try again, but it was as if I was paralyzed. Then Romeo appeared. His eyes swarming with that same dark cloud that petrified me. His tall brawny figure walks towards Doug. He take his time, his pace amble. In his right hand, something gleams and twinkles in the moonlight. The knife. "No!" I scream out, but my voice comes out scratchy and weak. Neither Doug or Romeo look my way towards the corner of the room. It was as if I was watching a movie, only to be on the other side of the screen.

I shake my head, the only thing I could do. Tears begin to stream down my face. He was going to kill him, and I couldn't do anything but watch. Romeo's body emitted nothing but hatred. It was almost suffocating. The knife twinkled and gleamed, as if boasting about the menacing things it could do. Romeo then turns. Our eyes meet and I'm greeted with malice.

With speed as swift as the wind, Romeo jabs the knife deep into Doug's neck. Our eyes don't break contact. Instantly, my body feels cold, everything feels cold. I let out a deafening scream. Doug's body jerks. His throat sputters, gargling blood and spitting crimson red everywhere. This goes on for what feels like eternity until his body goes still, lifeless in the chair and Romeo's hand is still held tightly onto the knife lodged in Doug's neck.

Breathing is now extremely difficult. Whatever power that restrained me from mobility was now gone. I collapse, clutching onto my chest. "I can't breathe." I whimpered. From my peripheral, Doug's silhouette make its way towards me. All feelings were lost. I don't even care what he was about to do. His aroma fills my nostrils as he's now facing me. Traumatized and shaking, I manage to breathe out "I hate you." And I truly meant it, every single word. Doug was murdered and I was forced to watch him bleed to death. There was no coming back from that.

Romeo kneels down in front of me. His hand covered in Doug's blood caresses my face, forcing me to look at him. "But I love you."

..................

I jerk up in bed fast, hyperventilating. The rapid beats of my heart pound loudly in my ears, almost deafening. I gasp, trying to breathe, but it wasn't working. Something wasn't working. I didn't feel right. My hand still clutched onto my chest, starts pulling at my torso as if someway I could pull out my lungs. Out of all the nightmares I've been having, this one was the worst. The most horrific. The covers that kept me warm were now feeling too heavy. I push them off.