Chapter 44: Mine

Soft knocks comes at my door and my gaze snaps away from the room window.

"Come in," my voice is hushed yet still audible. The door cracks open and icy blue eyes emerge in a swift search across the room. His jet black hair shines in its gelled back natural state and I find myself wanting it disheveled. When we lock eyes, his brief search comes to an end. Unknowingly, I hold in a breath as he welcomes himself into my room.

"Am I disturbing you?"

I'm quick to shake my head no. "Not at all."

This seems to please him as a trivial smile plays at his lips. "Good," he clears his throat and I take in his rolled up sleeves when he runs a hand through his hair. His bottom lip is tucked between his teeth and there's a sudden impulse to match his fidget.

"T-there's been a r-request," he stammers and I arch a brow.

Is he nervous?

"What kind of request?" I counter.

"One that's not my own," he looks towards the bed, "but I wouldn't mind it," his voice fades.

I purse my lips at this, somewhat intrigued by this never before seen antsy in him. "Xavier, what is it?" I spew, wanting nothing but transparency.

"Dinner," his gaze is now on the carpet. "With Willow and Hakeem." The silence is now thick between us.

"Okay..." I trail, speechless of what to say.

"Accompany me." he states plainly and this time there's no hesitation. I try my possible best to decipher his restrained expression but my mind is blank.

"Like a double date?" the question leaves my mouth in disbelief.

He licks his lips. "Yes."

I rack my brain for an excuse, any excuse as to why I can't be his date. Perhaps its time he should know the truth. Willow's back from her trip so there's no use in pretending anymore. Whatever this is between us isn't real. At least, for me it isn't. I want no part in this anymore. And the sooner he understands that, the sooner he can plan on how to be okay with that. He may feel used in the end, but it's only mutual since I've been used too. Used to satisfy his twisted unruly fantasy. This "date" will do nothing but lead Willow on to believe there is something between me and Xavier and that's part of my problem.  I've played along and now it's time to end this.

"Xavier, I'm flattered but-"

The ringing of a phone cuts me off. Quickly, Xavier reaches into his pocket, withdrawing his phone. He stares at the caller before hesitating to answer. He looks to me for approval and I give a sly nod. "Yeah, go ahead."

He answers quickly and I assume that he'll step out to converse but he doesn't. I turn and take a seat on my bed while taking in the view of a now angered Xavier. He gives me his side profile but his hardened jaw is not easily missed. I let out a breath when I see his squinted eyes and disgusted scowl.

"Je m'en fiche, qu'est-ce que ça a à voir avec moi?" (I don't care, what does that have to do with me?)

I stare out the window now, the anger that I believed to be a once upon a time, starting to come back.

"Ronaldo, tu t'en occupes ou je le ferai."(Ronaldo, you handle it or I will.) Xavier seethed.

Xavier is quiet now and I can make out the voice of a man coming through the phone. His words are muffled, nevertheless, his tone is clear. Something's wrong.

A heavy breath leaves Xavier's nostrils as he closes his eyes. "Okay, bring him to me." he says in an indignant spirit. He looks to me and I quickly snap my head away. "Tomorrow," he concludes just before ending the call.