Chapter 45: Promise

Silence eats us alive as we sit there staring daggers at each other.

Xavier mumbles "I don't have time for this." As if I wouldn't hear.

"I didn't think so," the words leave my lips and I roll my eyes at how maddening this conversation is. Doug's death still haunts me till this day. I'll be damned if I let something like that happen again. I feel as if I'm the only one who cares around here. No one wants to correct him.

My head jerks towards Xavier as his hand grips my chin roughly. I whimper instinctively, eyes wide and frightened.

I mentally face palm, the realization that I've rolled my eyes sets in.

"I'm sorry," I rush. "It won't happen again." I stare into his brooding eyes. His jaw is clenched and I wonder if he can hear the blaring beats of my heart. Because it's deafening to my ears.

His face is so close to mine, we could almost graze noses.

"Not tonight," he finally breaks the tense air. "Don't do this tonight." And I take this as a warning. I nod in understanding and he finally lets me go.

I place a hand on my now sore chin somehow feeling defeated. I ignore the sour taste in my mouth as a new question probes my mind.

What was he going to do if I didn't apologize? Would he really hurt me? After promising change? He was definitely close to. I felt there was potential and the past moment felt as if it would definitely lead to me getting hurt. I feel my insides crumble at this.

"You were going to hurt me." I state aloud.

He's quiet for a moment and I know my words are sinking in. His face expresses nothing, though. "Is that what you believe?"

I blink profusely. It's definitely what he made me believe. In my peripheral I see he's awaiting my answer but I hesitate to give one as this feels like a trick question.

I shrug. "That's what it f-felt like."

He nods solemnly. "Then I'm sorry," he turns to his window. "That you lack so much faith in me."

I let out a sad chuckle. "It's not like you have the best reputation. You don't make it easy."

He sucks his teeth, his gaze fixated on the city lights now. I do the same, still in disbelief over what happened just moments ago. I don't trust him. I can't.

The rest of the ride is long and silent. Our soft steady breaths stand as a reminder that despite our offhand silence, our presence to one another isn't absent.

When the car finally comes to a stop, I take in the new scenery. Just outside the window, I can see a towering building detailed with string lights that illuminate prominently in the night. Outside, yet fenced in the front are several tables with dining guests. I note the great queue of cars and people outside the extravagant restaurant. 'L'ARTE DEI SAPORI' reads the restaurant sign vividly.

The chauffeur greets Xavier with an opened door and a slight bow. I cringe as the icy air fans me ruthlessly. Xavier slips out and I follow behind. Classical music plays through the outside speakers of the restaurant. Chatter from waiting guests fill the night air. Everything seems so lively in a delicate way.

Every one down to the valet parkers dress themselves with sophistication and I know that physically, I don't look like an outlier. When Xavier begins to stroll up the long entrance, my heels click in place with his footsteps. His nonchalant demeanor makes me feel as though this is a norm for him. We pass by anticipating patrons and instantly conversations halt. Murmurs travel lowly followed by several gasps and whispers.