The Darkness

Chanyeol didn't know exactly how long he had spent wandering, he thought it was an eternity but there was more confidence in the ten minute option. It had been awhile since he had seen a Baekhyun from one of his previous lives, his path continuing on until it brought him to the forest just in front of the school.

He stared at the scenery, his brows raised in confusion when he realised that the trees that were growing around the school had straightened their positions. Baekhyun had noticed that most of them were growing away from the school and yet here Chanyeol was realising that even the subconscious world made a few mistakes. It was reassuring to know that even though the place looked like a carbon copy of his home, it wasn't. Hopefully Chanyeol would be able to overcome the end of this challenge.

But he has been alone for over 10 minutes now.. Surely that meant that he was merely waiting for his Baekhyun to arrive now, right?

"Yeah you're going to be waiting for quite awhile.." A new voice announced throughout the air, forcing Chanyeol to turn towards the very familiar sound. His breath hitched at the sight of the wolf standing before him, its head tilted to the side as it stared back at him with its tongue hanging out of its mouth. "but I guess this gives us some time to talk, right?"

Chanyeol let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding onto, he felt his chest tighten as the wolf got closer to him taking calculated steps forward. "You're my first life right? The Eighth wolf creator turned protector?"

"I suppose that's me," the wolf dipped its head, its tongue swiping across his snout as he turned his head towards the sky. The full moon was shining so brightly in the sky right now, which was another mistake for this world. The full moon wasn't meant to come until the day of the eclipse which just so happened to be the day that the comets would come to take them home, if they were able to get out of here first. "although I wouldn't really call myself a creator."

"You created the sun for your mate, that's quite a large thing to have made."

"A large but dangerous thing," the wolf agreed, it's voice sounding so familiar yet so foreign at the same time. "something that I still regret to this very day. I wonder how long my creation will last since the source of its power has been taken away from me."

"What do you mean by that?" Chanyeol didn't like the words he was hearing. He had been told that the wolf standing before him created the sun for his soulmate, Baekhyun's original soul. Why would the source of its power be gone? "What do you mean taken away from you?"

"Your definition of what a soulmate is isn't at all what we viewed it as," the wolf explained, Chanyeol watching as the creature's legs folded beneath its body, pulling him down to the ground. "Six was my soulmate but that didn't mean that we were meant to be together romantically. Our relationship was strictly platonic, regardless of the feelings I had for him."

"You need to explain things to me so that I can understand them, otherwise I'm going to rip your head off." Chanyeol spoke through gritted teeth, his hands formings fists by his side as he stared down at the wolf.

The creature blinked up at him, those deep brown eyes twinkling in the shine of the moon before they turned their gaze away from Chanyeol and onto the stars above their heads. "We both know that there is darkness coursing through your veins, you've felt it and I don't doubt for a moment that you haven't heard the voices."

Chanyeol felt the goosebumps rise on his body, his heart hammering against his chest. "No one knows about that apart from my mother..."

"You forget that I am you, or at least I was in one life-time." The wolf snorted, placing one of its paws over the other. "You've been suffering with a hunger of your own, not one lusting after blood like the Baekhyun of your life-time but one that craves something a little different. Power. It's been driving you crazy ever since you were old enough to experience it, it took me quite some time before I felt it too. The voices can be quite persuasive, sometimes you wish that you allowed yourself to be overcome with them, so that their sounds are no longer there. Picking away at your mind, at your nerves.. at your patience."