One Last Time

Baekhyun could only smile through the tears as he watched the love of his life embrace his father, nearly taking the poor man off his feet. Chanyeol was quiet, simply holding his dad close as the elder man cried into the junction of his neck. Unlike his mate Chanyeol had only lost one member of his family, his father having meant the entire world to him which is how he found himself beginning to sob when the reality began to sink in. Baekhyun's heart lunged in his chest, his eyes filling up again when he heard Chanyeol's broken sobs. He knew how much Sejoon meant to Chanyeol and how broken he had been when Sejoon was killed, Baekhyun was thankful to see that his mate wasn't full stone, Chanyeol had emotions and sometimes they were able to peek through that high stone wall.

"I can't believe this..." Chanyeol sniffed, stepping away from his father to send a glance around the room. He bowed politely to both of Baekhyun's mothers, not knowing who either of them were. His lips curled upwards when he realised that Baekhyun's father was waving his hand from his spot by the kitchen counter, he flicked his hand in return before his eyes settled on Katherine.

Baekhyun stepped in front of him before Chanyeol was even able to make a move, his lips were spread wide and his hands were raised upwards to stop Chanyeol in his tracks. The taller's chest contracted beneath his fingertips, his breathing laboured as he turned from Baekhyun to Katherine and back again. He was confused, but he allowed Baekhyun to keep him in place, his fingers curling up around the boy's wrists to hold him closer.

"I've already spoken to her, I'll tell you everything you need to know okay?" he whispered into the air between them, Chanyeol's forehead now resting against his own. "Let's just sit down first, we have a lot of catching up to do." Baekhyun offered him a smile before pulling Chanyeol with him to the couch where his mother and Katherine had sat some time ago.

The taller sat himself down first, holding out his arms to Baekhyun who grinned and slipped onto his lap. Instantly he was caged in Chanyeol's grip, being pulled backwards so that his back was flush against the taller's chest. Baekhyun released a hum of content, snuggling into his mate's neck while his eyes coursed through the faces in the room. He offered them all a wide box smile before clearing his throat, he shifted out from beneath his mate's neck and instead looked him in the eye. Chanyeol pressed his lips against Baekhyun's cheek, before nodding his head telling him that he could begin without actually opening his mouth to say the words.

~*~

Kyungsoo sat frozen on the chair next to Baekhyun's bed, his hollow eyes taking in the sight before him. Skylar had been pulled off of the vampire's body by Colin who held her close, allowing her to sob into his chest. Jongin had grown tired of Kyungsoo's desperation to be released from his grip so eventually he had let go, allowing the witch classed warlock to be situated by his best friend again.

The dark grey veins that had crept up from the tips of Baekhyun's fingers had seemingly stopped by the curve of his shoulder, his lips remained blue and his face stayed pale but at least there was hope now that the misty coloured veins ceased to grow.

"How are they?" The whole group turned towards the door where Ms. Lee stood with her arms crossed over her chest, her eyes looked exhausted and her face appeared to have aged four years. Kyungsoo blew out a sigh, his head falling into his hands. He didn't know how to answer the question, he didn't know a spell that could help in this situation. Katherine's spell made sure that nothing could be done to prevent them from completing their challenge, as much as he hated to admit it Kyungsoo and all his magic was worthless right now. He could only hope that the couple would be able to overcome these challenges by themselves, with no help from the outside world.

"We don't know." Kris took it upon himself to answer the headmistress' question, his voice was raw from not using it for some time. "The black toxin seems to have stopped before it reached his heart so that seems like a good thing, but we don't know if it will return to spread or not."