Reggie mantle | Love Beyond the Past

Summary: Reggie's father, Mr. Mantle, initially disapproved of his son's relationship with Y/n due to her past, but after a heartfelt conversation with Y/n, Mr. Mantle realized the importance of being there for his son and apologized to Reggie, leading to a potential reconciliation and improvement in their relationship.

Warnings: Family tension, discussion of strained parental relationships

Word Count: 859

The sun shone brightly on the football field, and the smell of grilled burgers filled the air

The sun shone brightly on the football field, and the smell of grilled burgers filled the air. You, Archie, Reggie, and the rest of the team were sprawled out on blankets, laughing and joking as you celebrated your big win.

It might seem odd to some that you preferred hanging out with the guys, but they were your best friends, and you couldn't imagine a better group to spend your free time with. They were always there for you, always had your back, and they were genuinely good people.

As Reggie got up to throw the football around with Archie, you smiled to yourself, feeling grateful for the supportive group of friends you had found.

'You should join the team, Y/n!' Reggie suggested with a mischievous grin.

You laughed, shaking your head. 'I don't know about that, Reg,' you said, taking a bite of your burger. 'I got the Blue and Gold to focus on. I'm more of a writer than a football player.'

The guys all laughed, and Archie patted you on the back. 'That's our girl,' he said, his voice full of pride. 'Just stick to writing those articles about our wins, and we'll stick to winning on the field.'

Reggie smirked at your rejection of his offer to join the team, and you all went back to enjoying your food. However, the sound of shuffling behind you caught your attention, and you turned around to see Mr. Mantle, his face a mask of disapproval.

You sighed, knowing that he wasn't happy to see you with his son. Stepping away from the group, you walked over to him. 'Hi, Mr. Mantle,' you said, your voice polite.

He simply nodded, not returning your greeting.

'Mr. Mantle, you should be proud of your son,' you said, trying to appeal to his paternal instincts. 'He did really well tonight. Scored four touchdowns.'

Mr. Mantle scoffed. 'I don't need you telling me how I should feel,' he snapped. 'Get out of my face.'

You bit your tongue to stop yourself from retorting, but the words came out anyway. 'I wasn't telling you how you should feel, sir,' you said, your voice steady. 'And with all due respect, I don't think I saw you once tonight.'

"you heard me."

"If I see you with my son at all after this, you're dead meat."

"Was that a death threat? because I can give that to sheriff keller. I'm sure he would love to have a man to man talk."

Mr. Mantle scoffed. 'What do you know about being a man?' he asked, his voice dripping with derision.

You narrowed your eyes, refusing to back down. 'I don't know how a man should act,' you said, 'but I do know how a father should act.'

Mr. Mantle's face turned a shade darker. 'Enlighten me,' he challenged, his voice low and dangerous.

Your words hung heavy in the air, and for a moment, it seemed as though Mr. Mantle might actually be listening. His expression softened, and he seemed to be lost in thought.

Finally, he spoke, his voice low and almost pleading. 'I don't know if I can do that,' he said, his shoulders slumping. 'I never had a father who taught me how to be one. I'm just...I'm just trying to do the best I can.'

You reached out, placing a hand on Mr. Mantle's arm. 'And Reggie loves you for that,' you said, your voice gentle. 'But maybe it's time to show him the love you feel, too. Before it's too late.'"

Mr. Mantle shook his head, trying to brush off your words. 'Your father didn't do that, did he?' he asked, his voice still guarded.

You nodded. 'No, he didn't,' you admitted. 'But that's why I'm telling you to make these moments count with Reggie. He deserves the world, sir. I would do anything for him, even if it means fighting you, to make your relationship stronger.'

Before Mr. Mantle could respond, the boys had rushed over, alerted by the heated conversation.

'What's going on?' Reggie asked, his eyes darting between you and his father.

Mr. Mantle gave a small shrug, but didn't answer.

Reggie's face softened, and he turned to you, a look of gratitude in his eyes. 'Thank you,' he said, giving you a quick hug before turning back to his father.

Mr. Mantle held out a hand to his son, his expression sincere. 'I mean it, Reggie. I want to make things right.'

Reggie nodded, a small smile playing on his lips as he took his father's hand.

'Alright, dad,' he said, the tension melting away. 'I'd like that.'

You watched as they walked towards the car, a feeling of warmth spreading through your chest. Maybe, just maybe, things were going to be okay.