18| On dangerous ground

"So, how are you feeling now, Miss Brooks?" Clarks is sitting on my old armchair next to the sofa. He takes the coffee I hand him and shoots me a thankful smile before taking a sip.

"I'm doing fine, thanks, Officer!" I reply and take a seat on my sofa. Zach, who's sitting beside me, protectively wraps his arm around me. I smile at him and then draw my attention back to Officer Clarks.

"What is it, Officer Clarks?" Zach asks the Officer.

"Right. My colleagues have found a huge amount of drugs in the house to which Mr. Vans brought Miss Brooks. We have strong reason to believe that Caleb Tremblay is or was involved in the drug business of your stepbrother. Perhaps you could help me with that. Do you know anything about Mr. Tremblay's doings? Has he anything to do with those drugs?" Clarks gives Zach a poignant look.

Zach, who easily holds the Officer's gaze, shakes his head.

"As far as I know, Caleb had nothing to do with the dark deeds of Terrence. My stepbrother forced him into helping to abduct Olivia. That's all," Zach replies with a frown. I'm impressed by the cool face he's keeping.

"That's what I thought," the Officer mutters and sighs deeply. "Mr. Wood, you could enormously help us with any information you could give us about Mr. Tremblay, and everything you tell me stays between us. Mr. Tremblay won't know from whom we got the information."

I eye the Officer's expression. He seems a little desperate and I wonder why Zach covers Caleb.

"I'm afraid I can't help you, Officer." Zach shoots Clarks an apologizing gaze and stands up. The Officer takes the hint and stands up as well.

"Well, call me if you remember anything. Sorry again for disturbing you, Miss Brooks. I find my way out, have a nice day," he says and nods in my direction before leaving my apartment.

The moment the door shuts behind him, I face Zach.

"Wanna explain that to me?" I ask him with crossed arms.

"Liv, just drop it!" Zach retorts and walks off.

I follow him to the bathroom and lean against the door frame.

"Zach, what the fuck?!"

Zach looks at me with raised eyebrows.

"What is it, Olivia?" he asks annoyed.

I huff disbelievingly.

Why is he so dismissive all of a sudden?

"Why did you cover Caleb? He obviously helped T with all his shady businesses, so why did you lie to Clarks?" My voice is harsh and cold as I speak.

Zach sighs and runs his hands through his tousled hair.

"Caleb moved on from T's shit. I know he wouldn't be that stupid to do anything which would connect him with my dumb stepbrother's business," he states angrily.

I shake my head and narrow my eyes.

"Zach, you just lied to a police officer. You know that's illegal, right? And for what? For a stupid fucker who kidnapped me. He's not worth the trouble, Zach!" I'm nearly shouting now.

Zach steps closer until his face is only inches away from mine and firmly grabs my shoulders.

"You ask me for what?! I did this to protect you. Everything I do is to keep you safe. I know those officers. They only care for their own success. Once they have the information they need, they don't give a shit about you anymore. Caleb would find out and that would put you in great danger!" he snarls. I feel his breath brushing my lips as he speaks.