42| Losing

Hushed talking wakes me up a few hours later. I blink sleepily and sit up when I notice the other side of the bed is empty. A look out of the window tells me it must be around noon already.

Then I hear Zach's hushed voice again. I swing my legs out of the bed and walk towards the walk-in closet where his voice is coming from.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! No way I let this happen!"

I freeze when I hear Zach's cursing. So, it's not a simple happy birthday call. I hate to eavesdrop, but I can't help it. He won't tell me anything as always, and I need to know what's going on.

"No, I fucking can't help you this time.....She isn't even working there anymore.....Not a fucking chance!.....I have to go, Franco!"

A second later, Zach enters the room again. When he sees me, he flinches hard and stops in his tracks.

"Olivia!" He stares at me for a moment and then asks warily, "How long have you been standing there?"

"Uh... about a minute...," I mutter and look down. I feel embarrassed by him catching me eavesdropping.

"What did you hear?" Zach asks quietly and steps closer. I look up and shy away when I see the coldness in his eyes.

"It was Franco, right?" I ignore his last question as anger washes over me. Why the hell should I explain myself? He's the one who's keeping secrets from me since we arrived in Vancouver.

"You already know that don't you?" Zach snarls and rushes past me. He plops down on the chaise longue and starts frantically typing on his phone.

"Zach! You obviously spoke about me. Don't you think I deserve to know?"

I get no reaction from Zach which increases my anger even more.

"Are you seriously ignoring me right now?" I follow him with my hands on my hips and stop right in front of him. "That's real mature, Zach!"

He looks up and laughs coldly. "Well, but eavesdropping on your boyfriend is, huh? Don't you think you're being a bit hypocritical here?" he counters with narrowed eyes.

I huff and shake my head. Is he fucking kidding me?

"I'm so done with this. Since we arrived in this city, you keep throwing worried glances at your phone all the time, and even after I heard you talking to Franco, you won't tell me what this whole shit is about," I raise my voice and take another step towards him. "Either you tell me now what's going on, or I will leave and won't come back until the evening!"

When Zach doesn't return anything, and just looks at me with an unreadable face, I laugh bitterly and shake my head.

"You know what?! Fuck you!"

I quickly slip into my clothes, grab my phone and my jacket, and head for the door.

I can't believe this. It feels like I've told him a hundred times before that I want to know what's happening in his life. That I need to know, and what's more, that I deserve to know as I'm part of this fucked up shit too in the meantime. His whole thinking that he has to protect me from his world starts to annoy me a lot. I mean, I get why he does it, but he must see as well that I would be better off if I knew what's going on.

Just as I reach the elevator, I feel a grip around my wrist.

"Liv..." I turn around and look into Zach's desperate face.

My gaze falls on his bare chest and I nervously look around.

"Could you please put on some clothes?" I whisper forcefully.