11| Back to normal

It's been almost two weeks since Terrence died, and Zach and I are back at my apartment. I took some time off from work since I'm struggling a lot with anxiety lately. Zach was nothing but sweet to me since I got home from the hospital a few days ago, but I can see he's struggling too. I think secretly he still blames himself for everything what happened. We talk about that night a lot, but every time we do, I end up trying to convince him that it wasn't his fault. I don't see too much progress here so far.

Right now, we're cuddled up in front of the TV, watching a series, and snack some popcorn. I'm happy to be back home. Being at the hospital for more than a week quite stretched my nerves, but the doctors wanted to watch my abdominal bruises for a bit longer before discharging me again since they didn't heal the way the doctors wanted.

Zach's arms are protectively wrapped around my body and my head's resting on his firm shoulder. Even though Zach was with me at the hospital almost throughout the whole week to keep me company, I missed sleeping in my own bed and spending time in my own four walls.

I tilt my head and secretly study his face.

His nose-ring lightly glistens in the mild light of the TV and his dark wavy hair is tousled since we spent the whole day hanging around in our sweatpants doing literally nothing.

I'm starting to get used to have Zach around me in my small apartment. Looking into his warm and caring eyes every morning gives me a feeling of security and really helps me to forget about Terrence and the things he did to me.

A soft smile appears on my face as I think of how caringly Zach treated me since that one night. In the hospital he read his favorite book to me, 'The Hobbit' which I didn't know until then. I really enjoyed lying in his arms and listening to his deep and soothing voice. When I got discharged and returned home, he cooked for me, helped in the household as much as possible, and tried to distract me from all my bad thoughts. I never would have guessed he would be that caring and supportive.

Zach turns his head and looks into my eyes.

"What?" he asks, frowning.

"I just thought about how much you helped me recovering. Inside and out!" I answer and give him a soft smile.

"That's the least I can do. Moreover, I can't think of any better pastime than spending time with you," Zach retorts and removes a strand of loose hair from my face.

I smile at his fond gesture and peck his cheek. Before I can pull back again, Zach grab's my neck and holds my face close to his. His eyes wander down to my mouth, making me swallow. Since Zach has shot Terrence, nothing physical happened between us.

Zach notices my sudden tenseness and immediately draws back.

"Hey, don't worry. We don't have to do anything unless you're ready for it!" He places his hand on my cheek, softly stroking it with his thumb.

"No, It's fine. I'd love to kiss you," I whisper and take a deep breath.

Zach doesn't move. He just eyes me, smiling fondly, and I feel him tensing up as I haltingly press my lips on his. After a short hesitation, he leans in and kisses me back.

The soft contact of our lips makes me feel the flying sparks between us, and the breath I have been holding flows out of my lungs. My hands move up and gently play with his hair. A soft sigh leaves Zach's throat, making me smile against his warm and tender lips. It's a soft kiss without any pressure and urge. Just a sweet little confirmation that the strong bond we felt from the start is still there. Maybe even stronger than before.

Zach places his hand on my lower back and gently pulls me closer. The touch of his hands on my lower body lets me wince, and suddenly raw panic flows through my body as Terrence's evil face plops up in my mind's eye. It's like I can feel his harsh touches and all the pain he caused me again.