46| Foreign Intruder

"Miss Brooks." Officer Clarks leans his elbows on the table in between us and crosses his fingers in front of his face. "We just found more than 2 pounds of heroin in your handbag. Let's say, I believe you that it's not yours. Nobody would be so stupid to carry around such a huge amount of drugs in their handbag. Certainly not to work. But I'm sure you have an idea whose heroin that could be, isn't that right?"

I sigh and close my eyes for a moment. For nearly a full hour, I am already sitting here at the station opposite of Officer Clarks and endure his pestering questioning. My head is pounding like shit, and I still feel sick. My entire body is craving for some rest, but it seems I won't get it all too soon. I told Clarks right from the start that those are not my drugs and the only person I could think of, who could've put them into my bag, is Jack. Clarks seems not convinced at all.

"I know you might not want to hear that, but what about Mr. Wood? You two seem quite close. It would have been easy for him to put the drugs into your bag."

I frown and shake my head. "Mr. Clarks, sorry, but that's ridiculous. I know for a fact that Zach has nothing to do with that."

"Ridiculous, huh?! I don't think I need to tell you, but Mr. Wood's stepfather and even his stepbrother were well-known to be part of the drug-scene in Calgary. What makes you so sure that Mr. Wood would be any different?" Clarks' dark-brown eyes pierce me for a second before he adds, "After all, Mr. Wood's troubles with his stepbrother were the reason you met him, right?"

"I know Zach, and he is not like this. Not at all. Please, believe me, Mr. Clarks," I state in a pleading tone. "Besides, why the hell would he plant those drugs on me? That doesn't make any sense at all!"

Officer Clarks sighs and thinks for a moment. "I guess we have to wait for the forensic study to see if we can identify any fingerprints. Until then, I must ask you to stay here."

I drop my head and rub my eyes. "You're locking me in?" I groan into my hands.

"I'm afraid, I have to," Clarks retorts with an apologizing shrug and gets up.

Right in that moment, his phone starts ringing, and he lifts his finger, motioning me to hold on.

"Do we have anything?....Oh....Interesting....Alright, thank you!" He hangs up again and turns towards me.

"Well, Miss Brooks." He pauses and raises his eyebrows, "The forensic study has found a bunch of fingerprints. Somebody tried to wipe them away but wasn't very thorough as it seems."

When Clarks doesn't speak on, I give him an expectant look, "Whose fingerprints?"

"Not yours."

I roll my eyes. "Yea, I already know that thank you!" I huff and rake my fingers through my hair.

"What?" Clarks steps closer, puts his hands on the table opposite to where I'm sitting, and leans forward. "Are you scared they are from your boyfriend?"

I swallow under his piercing gaze and blink nervously. A smug grin plays upon the Officer's lips. Is he enjoying my state of vulnerability? What fucked-up games does this man play?

"You're free to go," Clarks states suddenly, and turns on his heels, opening the door for me.

As soon as I get up, my head starts spinning, and I sink down on the chair again.

"Do you need a doctor?" Clarks asks and lets go of the door again to walk over to me. "You look pale!"

"I'm fine. Can I have my phone back now?" I retort coldly. I'm so done with this Officer's strange behavior. One minute he's being friendly, the next, he acts like a weird asshole.