04| Safe place

Zachary is sitting on my doorstep with his arms folded on his knees and his forehead resting on them. When I come to a stop right in front of him, he doesn't look up. Is he sleeping?

For a brief moment, I think of just sneaking into my apartment, pretending I've never seen him, but then I look at his tall figure, which somehow appears vulnerable and weak in this position, and something inside of me is holding me back from just leaving him behind. Maybe it's just my sympathetic and sensitive side which wants to help anyone who's suffering on this planet.

I softly shake his shoulders, causing him to flinch hard. In a heartbeat, he jumps up and looks at me with suspicion written all over his face. I instantly shy away and skeptically eye his clenched fists.

"I'm sorry. Uh...I thought you were someone else!" A little embarrassed, Zachary scratches his neck. His eyes are still slightly swollen and have dark circles around them.

"Uh... I live here?" I retort with a puzzled face. What is this all about?

"I know, I need your help!" he states with a low and numb voice.

"Huh?" I blink at him in total confusion while he nervously glances around.

"Could we talk inside? Please...," he asks feebly.

After a short hesitation, I put the keys into the lock, still a bit tipsy from all the drinks I've had and open the door. I step aside and let Zachary pass. Silently I walk through the staircase and lead him to the first floor, opening the door for him again.

For a brief moment Zachary hesitates, but then he crosses the threshold, entering my apartment. My holy place from which I try to keep all the turmoil and coldness from outside. I guess, I failed this time.

He walks straight over to the living room and sits down on the sofa. I follow him and watch him in disbelief.

How rude!

Zachary is sitting there with his arms crossed and has his eyes fixed on me.

Shouldn't he say something right now?

I lean against the door frame and face him with an expectant look.

"I need a safe place to stay!" The words are coming right out of Zachary's mouth. Without hesitation. Without batting an eyelid. As if it would be the most normal thing to ask a complete stranger to harbor him.

Is he fucking serious?

He seems to notice my doubting look since his voice softens slightly as he speaks on.

"Listen, uh...Olivia, right?" Zachary questions me.

I nod.

"I got huge problems. I don't know what you've heard when you watched our fight last week, but it's fucking serious. I know you don't know me, and you have no reason to trust me, but I can't stay at my own place right now. I would be dead within a few hours if I showed up there..." He runs his fingers through his dark, wavy hair.

I watch each of Zachary's movements intently.

"I don't have family who could help me out and I don't trust my friends to stay loyal and keep silent. The last few nights I slept in parks or on benches, but it's getting fucking cold outside. And I could use a shower too" He leans back and eyes me full of hope. Obviously, he's expecting me to talk now.

I look at him in total disbelief.

"What makes you think you can just show up here and ask me to stay?! As you said, I don't know you and I don't trust you either," I retort and raise my eyebrows.