29| Cards on the table

Zach and I are sitting at the table in my living room and enjoy lunch together. It's Sunday 3pm, and we just got out of bed about two hours ago. After the apartment inspection yesterday, we got us some food and then went to the movies together. The film was some kind of fantasy movie and it was quite boring, but since we were sitting in the last row, we knew some things to do against the boredom.

"What do you think I should wear tonight?" I ask Zach in view of the casino visit we've planned for tonight.

Zach shoves another forkful of pasta into his mouth and chews for a moment before answering my question.

"I don't know. You could wear that white dress you wore last time?" he suggests with a playful smirk.

I know he loved that dress. I will never forget the way he looked at me when he saw me wearing it for the first time.

I chuckle lightly and shake my head.

"No, I don't want to wear the same one like last time," I state, picking at my food.

Zach smiles at me and tilts his head. A light frown forms on his forehead as he eyes me pensively.

"What?" I ask.

Zach blinks at me. My question must have pulled him out of some captivating thoughts.

"Huh?" He chuckles awkwardly and I see the tiniest bit of pink appearing on his cheeks. Is he really blushing?

"Is everything okay?" I look at him with a deep frown and narrowed eyes.

"Sure," Zach retorts and gives me a broad smile. He seems to have already recovered from his little moment of embarrassment.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I swallow down the last bite of my meal and place my fork on the empty plate in front of me.

"None of your business," he teases me with a cheeky grin.

I playfully pout, causing Zach to jump off his stool and hurrying over to my side of the table. He steps behind me and starts tickling me. I burst out laughing, since he touched me in a sore spot. I'm extremely ticklish. I jump to my feet and try to escape, but Zach has already gripped me by my waist and continues his tickling attack.

"Stop!" I scream breathlessly. Tears are already welling up in my eyes, and I squirm and writhe trying to break free from Zach's tight grip.

Zach's head rests on my shoulder, and his loud laughter booms in my ear. Although, my stomach already hurts from all the laughing, the rare sound of Zach's laughter is like music to my ears. It's slightly throaty and deep and rouses the butterflies in my belly.

"Please Zach, I can't take it anymore," I squeak and try hard to turn around. Zach lets me, and his fingers stop tickling me, but he still holds me close to his body. He rests his forehead against mine and looks at me with slightly parted lips. We both pant from all the laughing.

After we've caught our breath again, Zach's face becomes more serious, and he brings up his hands and places them on both my cheeks. He inhales, and it looks like he wants to say something, but then he pauses and closes his eyes. A strand of his wavy hair falls into his forehead, and I involuntarily lift my hand to push it back. Zach's eyes open again and find mine. He gives me a soft smile and a thoughtful look before gently pressing his lips against mine. It's a slow and tender kiss without any haste. Our lips melt together and build a steady rhythm. As if by itself, my hands wander up to his tousled hair and my fingers tangle into his dark strands. I'm completely out of my breath again when we hesitantly pull away.

Zach's chest rises and falls as fast as mine does, and he gives me a fond smile. His hazel eyes beam at me and look like amber in the warm light of the afternoon sun which shines through my living room windows. Something in his gaze is different today, causing my heart to leap and my cheeks to flush. That feeling kind of takes me back to the first days he stayed here when I flushed constantly in his presence.