32| Preparations

The mall is packed when I walk through the sliding doors and into the huge building. I already knew it would be like that as it's only two days until Christmas Eve.

People are rushing past me with loads of bags and boxes in their hands, and Christmas carols boom out of the speakers and fill the air. My day has been quite uneventful so far. I spent my shift with Abbey, chatting about our upcoming trip and her new lover boy. She was talking non-stop about him and how civilized and gentlemanly he acts in her presence. I can't remember a time when she was romantically involved with a man, so it's great to see her happy and excited like this.

With no idea what to buy for Zach, I stroll through the crowds and look at all the different shops to see if I spot anything suitable. I don't want to gift him anything silly or boring, I want my present to be special and meaningful. On my way here, I passed that fancy wine store where I bought a good wine once before and asked the saleswoman to recommend me a good wine for our Christmas dinner.

A small lingerie store catches my eye, and I spontaneously decide to make this a part of my present. Me in some cute underwear. I know this is kind of cheesy, but he would love it for sure.

As I step into the small store, packed with red, green, and golden underwear, the smell of vanilla and cinnamon rises in my nose.

"Hello, my dear, may I help you?" the tiny, gorgeous salesgirl who is standing behind the counter greets me with a sweet smile. I happily accept her offer for help, and a few moments later, I'm already surrounded by half a dozen of beautiful, glittering, and velvet pieces. Some of them are daring, others rather cute, but all of them are beautiful and tempting.

After I bought three new sets of underwear, I just couldn't decide between them, I leave the shop and continue my ramble through the mall.

One hour and a half later, I tiredly sink down on one of the white benches and close my eyes for a second. My shopping trip wasn't that successful so far. The only thing I bought for Zach by now is a thin leather bracelet with a little silver infinity symbol on it. I think he'll like that one as it's plain and simple, and I find the message behind the infinity symbol kind of cute. Of course, I don't know if our relationship will last, but a woman can dream, can't she?

When I passed by a shop where stationery and office supplies are being sold, I couldn't help but buy a leather notebook and a set of charcoals for myself. The moment they caught my eyes, I felt taken aback to the times in my youth when I used to love drawing. My fingertips started tickling and before I knew it, I've already bought it.

As I have no more ideas where else to go, I decide to shop for an outfit for tonight's dinner. It's been ages since I've had enough money to shop for more than strict necessaries, and that's because of my big win at the casino the first time we've been there. I'm not the biggest shopping fan, but I must admit it's really nice to do it without constantly thinking about the money.

I enter a fancy boutique with loads of stunning evening gowns in the shop window, and I quickly find the perfect dress. A long-sleeved, wine-red, velvet dress, which ends just above my knees. It has a v-neck and a fake wrap design. Some cute ruffle details at the front give it a lightly playful touch, so it's not too sexy. I leave the shop with the dress in a bag and a happy smile on my face.

Just as I decide to head back home, I pass a little booth and stop to look at the framed quotes which are sold there.

"Hello miss, we sell personalized, framed quotes. It's the perfect Christmas gift for anyone." I look at the tall and very slimly built man who tries to sell me his goods.

I smile at him and open my mouth to thankfully decline, but than I remember something. When Zach read the Hobbit to me at the hospital, he told me his favorite passage of the book.