02| Mess

I groan as I wake up to my alarm the next morning. A glance under my blanket tells me I'm still fully dressed. When I came home yesterday, I immediately fell into my bed and slept the whole night through. With a loud yawn I get up, tilt my head both ways and gently knead my tense neck.

I feel horrible. After twelve hours of working in that gross Diner, My hair still smells like old fat and I'm sure it also looks like it. Time to change that! With a deep sigh, I walk to the bathroom and get rid of my stinky working clothes.

Twenty minutes later, I step out of the shower and wipe over the steamed-up mirror to eye my reflection. My cheeks are rosy and the bags under my eyes are much better than yesterday. I quickly wrap a towel around my head and walk over to my dresser to pick out a pair of panties.

Just as I slip into my bra my phone buzzes. I walk over to my nightstand to check it and spot a message from Abbey.

I'll pick you up in '10. Be ready!

Amazing, now I'm in a rush!

I speedily blow dry my hair and slip into my diner clothes. After checking the time, I nod my head in appreciation of myself. I actually managed to get ready in under 10 minutes. Just as I check my reflection in the full-length mirror in my hallway and ponder if I should apply some mascara, the doorbell rings. So, no mascara then.

I slip into my jacket, grab my bag and my phone, and leave the apartment. Abbey's waiting in front of it and smiles widely when she spots me.

"Hey gorgeous! You look pretty today. Slept well?" She wraps her arms around me and squeezes me tightly.

"I fell straight into bed yesterday and slept all through the night. I feel a lot better today!" I smile at Abbey and put my arm under hers as we start walking.

On our way to the Diner, Abbey asks me to tell her the whole story about the shooting and I willingly do since I can think of nothing else than the gunfire and this certain pair of piercing eyes anyway.

***

The next days go by without any noteworthy happenings. It's been five days since the shooting, and I'm standing behind the counter, thinking of the weekend in joyful anticipation. Tomorrow is my 25th birthday and Abbey told me to meet her and the rest of our little girls' clique at a cozy bar right around the corner, which is run by a good friend of ours, Nora. Even though Calgary has a lot of fancy bars to offer, we're always at Nora's. That's the only way to have our dear friend around at our nights out, as she's working almost everyday.

Impatiently, I check my wristwatch. The Diner closes in 30 minutes, and I'm already counting down the minutes. With a deep sigh I start wiping the sticky countertop.

Lost in my thoughts, I don't notice as someone enters the Diner.

"Hi."

The sound of a deep, husky voice behind me makes me flinch.

I freeze and my eyes widen in surprise as I turn around and spot the guy I found on the street last week. A gasp escapes my throat.

Olivia, get a hold of yourself!

"Uh... hey...," I stutter.

My eyes instantly dart down to his neck. I can't tell how bad his wound is as his whole neck is bandaged. My gaze goes up again and I study his face. His hazel eyes are still swollen, yet piercing, as they watch me poignantly. His dark-brown, wavy hair falls lightly into his face and a nose ring glistens in the bright light of the Diner. All together he's quite handsome for a guy, who nearly died a week ago.

"I just wanted to thank you for saving me!" He runs his hand through his hair.

"It's fine. I mean... You're welcome! How are you feeling?" I ask with a racing heart.

His gaze makes me shudder and my cheeks must be glowing by now.

What is wrong with me?

He looks at me with a puzzled face and then replies with a frown, "I'm fine. Thanks again. Alright, gotta go. Bye!"

With that, he turns around and heads for the exit.

Everything happens so fast, I'm not even able to response, but then I quickly shake my head to bring myself back to the here and now and run after the young man who just left the Diner.

"Hey!" I shout after him, causing him to turn around with a questioning look.

"You didn't even tell me your name," I tell him, shrugging my shoulders.

"I'm Zachary," he answers, and I can spot the outline of a tiny smirk on his full lips. The next moment he vanishes as swift as he appeared a few minutes before.

Zachary Wood.

I go back inside where I pick up wiping the countertop. My thoughts revolve around Zachary and his strange visit. He came across so reserved and emotionless. Totally different than when I found him last week. The vulnerability and softness I noticed back then was apparently only a temporary state.

I wonder why he knows where I work. Maybe Officer Clarks told him.

I sigh. Zachary's appearance has left me in a total mess.

For the second time!

I finish my work and set off for home. Once there, I decide to take a relaxing bath, and turn on the water while sitting on the edge of the bathtub. Soon enough, hot, steamy air fills up my small bathroom, and I throw a bit of bath salts into the water and quickly undress. I dive into the hot water and instantly feel all the tension melting away. Closing my eyes, I enjoy the silence which surrounds me, and get lost in the relaxation flowing through my body.

As I step out of the bathtub again, my skin is already wrinkly. No wonder, as I stayed in the hot water for more than an hour. Much more relaxed than before, I apply some lotion on my skin and slip into my light blue pajamas.

I quickly warm up some leftovers from yesterday and get comfortable on the sofa with my food and a book.

Soon enough, I get up as I'm unable to concentrate on my book. Too many thoughts are buzzing in my head.

I decide to call it a day and walk over to the window to let some fresh air into my bedroom before I go to sleep. As I open it, something out there catches my eye. I frown and take a closer look.

Someone is standing across the street, and this someone looks very familiar to me.

Is this possible?

I narrow my eyes to get a clearer sight since the streetlights here are crappy and barely light the streets. Even my phone would be way brighter than those lamps.

Suddenly the person steps forward into the light I recognize him. My eyes widen as I see Zachary staring in my direction. As soon as he notices me, he instantly runs off.

What the hell?

Why did he come back? And why is my heart racing again?

What is it about this guy what messes with my head every time I see him?

While I'm slipping into my cozy bed, trying to find a way to fall asleep, I'm still wondering what Zachary Wood is up to and why he showed up in front of my window again.

*****

What do you think about Zachary and his strange appearances?🤔

Please don't forget to comment and vote. ✨

Katie❤️