12| Surprise

"How do I look?" I'm standing in front of the mirror in my hallway and nervously stare at my reflection. It's Monday, the day I decided to go back to work. Back to normal. Insofar as that is possible.

Zach's leaning against the wall next to me with crossed arms and watches me with an amused smirk.

"You look great, Olivia, you always do!" he says and steps closer, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"You know you don't have to go if you don't feel ready yet, right?" He eyes me through the mirror and buries his nose into my hair.

I sigh and turn around.

"No, I want to. I'm just nervous to go back to my normal life," I reply.

Zach cups my face and pierces me with his dark eyes, "Don't worry. If it's getting all too much for you, just call me and I'll pick you up."

I relax on the stop under his touch. Somehow, Zach always finds the right words to soothe me.

"Thank you!" I whisper and smile up to him.

He gives me a quick, soft kiss and steps back.

"Ready to go?" he asks.

I nod, grab my bag and keys, and step out of my cozy, little apartment. Out into the cold world again.

The freezing temperature lets me shiver. It's the last day of November and it snowed pretty much the last couple of days.

I smile at the wintry surrounding. Cars covered with snow, the very few people which are already on the move are wearing warm winter coats and woolen hats, and a black stray cat leaves small, cute paw prints in the snow on the concrete.

Zach steps beside me and slides his warm fingers into my hand. He gives me an encouraging smile and we start walking towards Jack's Diner.

Many of the doors and windows we're walking by are festively decorated. My mood gets better and better the farther we get.

I love Christmas and everything about it. The thrill of anticipation, the warm lights everywhere, Christmas music is to be heard on every corner, but, most of all, it's the generosity people seem to have at that time of the year what makes me really happy.

"What are you smiling at?" Zach asks me nosily.

"I'm getting those first Christmas-vibes, you know?" I answer cheerfully, "the snow, the lights... just everything. That's exactly what I needed today!"

Zach chuckles and squeezes my hand tenderly.

"It's nice to see you this carefree and happy again! That makes me happy too!" he states with a broad grin on his face.

I stop and turn to him. Zach tilts his head and eyes me quizzically. A smirk plays upon my lips before I grab his collar and pull him down for a stormy kiss. Stunned by my enthusiasm, Zach raises his eyebrows, but doesn't hesitate to kiss me back. He grabs my waist and pulls me close to his body. His fingers sneak under my jacket and stroke over my back.

We stand there for a little while, enjoying just us and the sudden happiness, which overtook us.

Something cold landing on the tip of my nose lets me pull away. I look upward and notice it just started snowing again.

Zach, who also stares at the sky, has a broad grin on his face.

"I feel like we're in a movie!" I state, not even trying to hold back the goofy smile on my face.

"I have to admit it's pretty cheesy!" Zach lets out an amused laughter.

I lower my eyes and find Zach's gaze on me. The way he looks at me, his eyes full of warmth and tenderness, makes my heart skip a beat. He gives me a soft peck, grabs my hand, and we continue our way. It's still dark, but due to the snow the surrounding appears much brighter than it actually is.