07| Exposures

The cold morning breeze brushes my face as I'm sitting on the windowsill, lost in my thoughts.

Zach was still asleep when I woke up and I needed some time to think anyway, so I stole myself out of bed, slipped into Zach's hoodie and made some coffee.

I sigh. My feelings are confusing me.

I snuggle into his soft hoodie and breathe in his scent which awakens the memories from last night. I take a sip of my hot coffee and close my eyes.

Zach was so tender and respectful last night, but I'm scared of the speed we're moving. I'm scared of how much I care for this guy, who's basically a stranger to me, but at the same time feels so familiar and close. Just the thought of him makes my heart racing.

What if I end up with a broken heart?

"What is going through that beautiful mind of yours?"

Zach's voice pulls me out of my thoughts. His strong arms wrap around my body from behind and he rests his head on my shoulder.

"Just needed some alone time," I reply and turn my face to give him a sheepish smile.

I can feel Zach's soft breath against my neck as he smiles back at me and gently tightens his grip around my waist.

"I'm scared, Zach," I whisper, trying to reveal myself to him, and shoot him with an unsteady glance.

Zach frowns and looks at me with a questioning face.

"Are we moving too fast?" I ask and lower my gaze. Zach takes his hands off me, a gesture which surprisingly hurts me more than I would have thought.

I look up and could have sworn I sense a touch of pain in his eyes.

"I thought you were okay with what happened yesterday," he states in a low voice.

"I am and I have no regrets," I retort quickly and sigh.

"It's just... we've known each other for less than two weeks now and I'm just overwhelmed by how much happened since I met you."

Zach smiles knowingly and nods.

"I know I've brought lots of trouble into your life so far and I can't promise you that no more shit will happen, but I can promise that I will look after you and try my best to keep you safe, as long as I'm here!" he says with a serious but soft voice.

As long as he's here? So, for him this just as a temporary thing?

I don't want to show him how much effect his words have on me, so I just faintly smile at him.

"Okay," I reply and get off the windowsill.

Maybe I'm just overthinking again.

"I'll go for a quick walk," I add and Zach frowns and looks at me with a puzzled face but doesn't retort anything.

Then he nods and smiles at me but doesn't seem too happy about my words.

I slip into my sweats and shoes and shoot him one last glance before I grab my jacket.

As I walk out of my front door I pause for a moment and breathe deeply before I start walking down the street, trying to clear my mind.

What is wrong with me?

I feel like I've lost the control over my own life. Over my own feelings. I huff.

As if I've ever had control over my life!

Zach is so different to the guys I've met before. He's so respectful and funny, but on the other hand very mysterious and brings along loads of problems.