45| Jackass

With weak knees, I stop in front of the Diner the next day. Jack was surprisingly friendly and even came across relieved to hear I wanted my old job back when I called him yesterday. He asked me to start right the next morning, so, here I am today. A bit frightened what this day will bring, and not knowing how to fulfill Franco's fucking request.

After taking a last deep breath, I push the door open and enter the stinky Diner. Nobody is to be seen, so I head straight for the back office.

"Livie!" Abbey rushes towards me and pulls me into a tight embrace. "I'm so freaking glad you're back. I can't even tell you how much!"

I giggle and pat her back. "I'm not so sure if I'm that happy working in this shithole again, but anyways, I'm here!"

Just in that moment, the door opens, and Jack shuffles in. When he sees me, he puts on a forced smile and holds out his hand. "Hey, little one. Good to have you back."

I clasp his hand and give him a bewildered smile. Never has he ever shaken my hand. Not even at my job interview.

"Uh... yea. Thanks, Jack, for taking me back!" I stutter while his beefy hand is shaking mine.

"Your can use your old locker, I haven't taken anything away from your stuff so far." Jack points to the four old lockers in the back of the room and I nod.

"Thank you, Jack!" With that, I walk over and store my jacket and bag in the old, shabby locker I always used.

Jack disappears towards the guest room and leaves Abbey and me alone.

"What the hell, Liv?" Abbey exclaims with widened eyes. "What did you do to old, grumpy Jack?"

I chuckle and shrug my shoulders. "Uh, nothing. It's creepy for me as well, trust me, Abbey!"

That's true. I might be bantering with Abbey right now, but in truth Jack being so fucking friendly scares the shit out of me.

Abbey and I set down to work and start doing our usual business. It's a quiet day at the Diner, so we have a lot of time to chat about our trip while Jack is busy in his office. Or maybe he's just sleeping as so often. It's half past three in the afternoon when Zach walks in.

"Hey, Livie," he greets me with a warm smile and leans over the counter to give me a quick kiss. "How was your day?" He looks around and I know exactly his eyes are searching for Jack.

"Quiet," I state and after making sure Jack isn't within earshot I add in a low voice, "Jack was so damn friendly. Something is going on, I'll tell you!"

"Look whose overprotective boyfriend came to pick up his little girl." Jack's voice booms through the room as he comes through the door of the back office. "Hey man."

He reaches out his hand for Zach who eyes it warily.

"Hey," he mutters, ignoring his hand, and turns to me again. "When are you done?"

Before I can say anything else, Jack starts to speak.

"Go home. I'm sure Abigail is willing to finish cleaning alone, right?" he remarks in Abbey's direction.

I frown and look between Abbey and Zach. This is getting more and more suspicious.

"Sure, honey. Have a nice evening you two!" Abbey then says with a broad grin. "We're nearly done here anyway."

I shake my head and open my mouth to object, but Jack cuts me short once more.

"I'll help her. Now go!" He utters a throaty laugh and waves us away before turning towards Abbey.