chapter 19

the next day
hyunjin's pov
To the hospital I headed. Just like I had been for the past few days. Each time I saw my mother sicker than the last. She could not hold on much longer as the disease spread more and more throughout her body. Soon I would have to lose my mother. Even the thought of her dying brought tears to my eyes. I quickly wiped away the tears while I walked through the front doors to the hospital. Not even a few steps into the hospital and a nurse had already come up to me. This made me concerned since I usually get to my mothers room before speaking with any of the medical staff. It seemed to be urgent considering she ushered me into a little private room. "Hello Mr. Hwang, I'm sorry for the urgency but there are some things you need to be informed about." I only nodded as my throat was dry. "Regarding your mother's health, it seems as though she won't be able to make it through the night. I am so truly sorry there is nothing we can do. It is best if you just stay with her. Maybe call someone." There they were. The words I dreaded to hear ever since my mother entered the hospital. I couldn't say anything. Tears swelled my eyes and my chest tightened. The nurse patted my shoulder then left the room. There was nothing I could do. This was it. At that point it all just hit me. I pretty much broke down. I knew I needed someone here with me so I went to my contacts and clicked one of my recents. Not being able to see the screen properly given that my eyes were filled with tears. The phone rang a few time before the person picked up. "Hello! How are you?" I instantly recognized the voice of Felix. "Can you come to the hospital?" I managed to croak out in between sobs. "Of course, is everything alright?" I couldn't even say anything and just hung up the phone. In a matter of minutes Felix showed up at the door of the room Hyunjin was in. He let himself in and engulfed me in a hug. The warmth of his chest was comforting while I laid my head on it. We sat like that for a good thirty minutes before I could compose myself. He just sat there running his hand through my hair and doing little circles on my back. I finally fully stopped crying and said "Thank you for coming" I could feel Felix squeeze me tighter. "Of course, Hyunjin. I'll always be here for you" We sat there for a little longer before I stood up. He followed dusting off his pants from sitting on the floor. " The nurse told me that my mother would not even make it through night. It's her time" Felix's face dropped from its already worried expression to one that looks sad. I put his hand in mine and we walked to my mom's room. I opened the door and walked inside to see my mother asleep. Felix followed close behind me. I stood next to my mom and Felix sat behind me on the couch. All I could do was look at her and remember. Remember all the good times we had. She was my rock, she did everything in her life to make mine better. I could not ask for a better mom. Out of the blue I started to hum the song that she would sing me to sleep with. I guess the humming woke her up given that her eyes slowly opened. She saw me and smiled a little bit. "Hi mom! I love you" Is all I could manage to say before she fell back into the sleep she was in. I sat back down on the couch, snuggling into Felix's side.