Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Ring of pain

"Hija, I want to give you something." Tumingin ako kay tita Ason, ang mommy ni Zeck. "Come with me." Kumapit pa siya sa braso ko at iginiya ako papanhik. Pumasok kami sa master's bedroom. "I have been meaning to give it to you but I was waiting for Zeck to come to me and ask for this." He opened the vault and took out something. "But he's probably too busy."

"What is it, tita?" She turned to face me, smiling. She handed me a small box.

"Here, take it."

I bit my lower lip. "Tita..."

"Open it, hija."

My hands shook as I opened the box. I gasped. "Oh my Gosh... This is so beautiful, tita!"

She smiled gently and held my hand. "I want you to wear it. Nanggaling pa yan sa lolo ng tito mo. It was passed down to your tito's dad because he was the first born son. Then it has been eventually passed down to my husband. He gave this to me when he proposed."

It is a family heirloom. "I can't take this, tita." A lump suddenly formed in my throat. My guilt is attacking me again.

"Why not?" Bakas ang pagkasorpresa sa mukha niya.

"Tita, it's a family heirloom. I..." I bit my lower lip.

She smiled. "I understand. I had the same reaction when your tito gave it to me. I didn't even want to touch it because I knew it's worth a fortune." She said with a chuckle. "But you know what made me change my mind?"

"Ano po?"

"Sinabi daw ng lolo niya na ibigay lang ang singsing na yan sa taong mahal niya at sigurado niyang makakasama niya habang buhay. He said he knew I was the one the moment he laid his eyes on me. So I am the rightful owner of this ring."

I smiled with unshed tears in my eyes. What tita said move me. It was just so touching. "That was so sweet, tita. How I wish..." I suddenly stopped. That almost slipped.

"That's why I accepted the ring and secured it with my life. It's not because it's worth a fortune but because it symbolizes my husbands love for me." She chuckled when she noticed I was crying. "Bakit ka umiiyak?"

"It was just so touching."

"Ohh... come here." She enveloped her arms around me.

"Sana ganyan din kami ni Zeck, tita."

"What are you talking about? Zeck proposed to you. It means you're the one that he has chosen to spend the rest of his life with. You are the love of his life. And since Zeck is our only son, then this ring is rightfully yours."

Oh god this is too much. I am not the love of his life, tita. He didn't choose me. He was forced to offer marriage. It only means I am not the rightful owner of this amazingly beautiful ring.
"Maybe we should wait for Zeck, tita." It doesn't feel right to take it. It feels like stealing. Even though it's being given to me.

Her forehead knotted, confusion visibly shows on her face. "Why?"

"K-kasi po, it should be Zeck's choice, right? I mean if he would give it to me or..." Or give it to Ella...

She smiled and shook her head. "No. I will be offended if you don't take this ring."

I was left with no choice but to wear it.

I sighed for the nth time while staring at the ring that tita Ason gave me. I don't know what to do with it. Should I give it back to Zeck or not? If I gave it back to him and tita noticed that I wasn't wearing it, she would be offended. I don't want that to happen. I've grown to like her. She's a very nice and loving woman.