Chapter 42

Chapter 42: Roses and Thorns

My college friends were inviting me out, but I turned them down. I just gave them a lot of reasons why I couldn't come. One of them was that no one would take care of Empress because her nurse had to go back to their province due to some personal problems though she promised to come back after a month.

I could feel the weight of my responsibility as a mom now. Even if I was a hands on mom, I didn't feel too tired because my baby had a nurse who could take care of her when I had to rest. Pero ngayon ay ako na lang lahat. There was Anna, of course. But I couldn't ask her to help him out because she was also busy with the household chores.

"Please, my Empress, go to sleep. Come on, sweetheart. It's past 1 in the morning," I said, quite tired, while swaying her in my arms.

However, my little Empress was too active to sleep. I was so sleepy and tired already. I hadn't had a decent sleep in weeks! When she cried, I wanted to cry with her. I felt so frustrated. I was so close to crying when Zeck arrived home. 

"Hi," he said then kissed my lips then kissed our baby. "Why is she crying?"

"I don't know. She wouldn't stop," I said, quite frustrated.

Napatitig siya sa akin. "I'll just take a quick shower then I'll put her to sleep."

Hindi na ako kumibo. As promised, after he had taken a shower, he took Empress from me. I just sort of burst out crying when our baby stopped the moment she was in her father's arms. Zeck looked surprised and a bit alarmed. 

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked as he sat beside me with Empress in her arms looking so innocent.

I shook my head, crying. "I don't know. I was so tired and sleepy but she wouldn't stop crying but the m-moment she was in your arms... I don't know." I wiped my tears. "I'm sorry. I don't know why I cried."

Using his one arm, he wrapped it around me and pulled me close. "Why don't you rest for now? Ako ng bahala kay baby Empress. You look so tired, baby." Then he kissed my forehead and lips.

Sumisinghot-singhot na sumiksik pa ako sa kanya. "I'll just take a shower," I muttered.

Tumayo na ako at pumasok sa bathroom. I took off my clothes then stood in front of the mirror. I felt so bad when I saw my body. I used to have a nice body. But now... Bumaba ang kamay ko sa aking tiyan na may taba. I haven't gotten rid of my excess fat yet because I was too occupied with Empress. I was too busy being a wife and a mom. 

I used to be so beautiful. But looking at myself in the mirror now, I just didn't feel that way anymore. Dati ay kahit nasa bahay lang ako ay maayos ako. Pero ngayon ni hindi ko magawang suklayin ang buhok ko. Lagi na lang itong nakataas. I bit my lower lip as tears ran down my cheeks. Mukha na akong losyang. 

That was when I heard a knock. "Baby, are you okay?" He sounded worried.

"I-I'm fine."

I sighed then took a shower. I wore an over sized shirt because I didn't have the guts to wear lingerie. I just felt too fat to wear one. Halatang hinihintay ako ni Zeck na lumabas ng banyo. He looked worried. Tipid akong ngumiti at tiningnan muna si Empress na himbing ng natutulog. I kissed her chubby cheek. 

Paglapit ko ay marahan akong hinila ni Zeck paupo sa kandungan niya. Niyakap niya ang mga braso sa akin at isiniksik ang mukha sa leeg ko. 

"Are you still okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine. I was just t-too tired. But I'm fine."

Tinitigan niya ako. Then he sighed and kissed me on the lips. "We can get another nurse for our little Empress, baby. We can even hire two nurses for her."