Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Cruel intention

I cried the whole night after that incident with Zeck. What he said tore me apart. Ang hirap lunukin ng mga sinabi niya sa akin. However, I can't exactly blame him because it was entirely my fault. He's right: I ruined his life. I am to blame for everything. I have to make things right again.

I took a deep breath and made up my mind to talk to kuya. I have to put an end to my stupidity. With all the courage I could muster, I went to find kuya. Kumatok ako sa pinto ng library. "Come in."

You can do this, Missy. I opened the door and stepped inside then closed the door behind me. Again, I took a deep breath then faced him. "Can I talk to you, kuya?"

"Sit down."

I sighed and sat down. My hands are already clammy. "Uhmm... kuya, i-it's about..."

"About what?"

Because of too much nervousness and tension, I started wringing my fingers and nibbling my lower lip. "I-it's about uhm, Zeck and I." He remained quiet and just kept staring at me, devoid of any emotion. "Kuya, I am begging you to call off the wedding."

"Right."

I breathed out harshly. "Kuya, nothing happened."

"Then can you please explain to me why you were naked when I found you in his room?" Madilim ang mukhang tanong niya. Hindi ako nakakibo. "Do not insult my intelligence, Mishika."

I shook my head. "I'm not, kuya. I never did! Nothing really happened, I swear. Please believe me." I said desperately. "Kuya Vince, you've got to believe me."

"I want to. I really do. But you've already lost my trust."

My eyes sting. "Kuya..." I tried to blink back my tears. "I understand that you are mad at me, not to mention, disappointed. But you've got to believe me when I say that nothing happened. It's not Zeck's fault. Please stop forcing him to marry me."

"I didn't force him. He offered."

"Then call off the wedding."

"He can do so anytime he wants. Like I've said no one's forcing him to do the honourable thing." My forehead creased.

"You didn't have to force him because you knew he would offer, am I right kuya? And you also knew that he would never back out, no matter what." Hindi siya sumagot. Pero sapat na ang nababasa ko sa mukha niya.

"You're my sister, Mishika. It's my duty to protect you and to make sure that no one would ever take advantage of you."

"But Zeck never took advantage of me." It was I and not him...

"If that's true, then he'll marry you."

Oh God... He would never listen to me. "You're not gonna change your mind, are you? Zeck is your friend, kuya."

He looked straight into my eyes. "Like I've said, you are my sister. Family always comes first."

"Kuya won't even listen to me, Tam." She held my hand and gently squeezed it. We're in a coffee shop. "I don't know what to do anymore. Ate Chela has tried to help but..." I shrugged my shoulders, feeling hopeless. "I am so stupid. How did I totally miss it? Why didn't I realize sooner that it would turn out like this?"

"Missy, hindi mo rin naman alam na ganito pala ang kalalabasan ng ginawa natin."

"Hindi, Tam. Ginawa ko lang. This all on me." She sighed.