Chapter 28

Chapter 28: Lead up the Garden Path

They say breaking someone's trust is like crumpling up a perfect piece of paper. You can smooth it over but it's never going to be the same again. 

"Hi, baby," Zeck said then kissed my head. "Sorry, I didn't make it for dinner."

I glanced at the clock. It was past 1 in the morning. "Where have you been?"

"Tagaytay. I told you about the shooting of our music video, right?" he said while taking off his clothes. 

"Inabot kayo ng ganito ka-late?"

Napatgil siya sa pag-aalis ng pants niya at nilingon ako. "Yeah," he answered with a creased forehead. "Callem was the one who directed our music video and he was very meticulous today."

"Really..." I muttered coldly.

"Is there a problem, baby?" I gave him a blank look. "Nagtatampo ka ba dahil di ako nakauwi for dinner?"

Isang pilit na ngiti ang ibinigay ko sa kanya at bahagyang iling. "No, I understand."

He sighed. "I know you're upset," he said as he walked towards me. Then he sat on the edge of the bed and touched my face. "I'm really sorry. I will make it up to you."

I'm not upset that you didn't make it for dinner. What upsets me is that I can't seem to believe every word that comes out of your mouth from now on. And it's not your lies that break my heart, Zeck. It's my broken trust in you that kills me.

I gave him a weak smile. "Sure."

He smiled then leaned down to kiss me. "I'll just take a shower."

I just nodded. As he turned his back, a tear rolled down my cheek which I wiped away. Then I touched my tummy. Sorry, baby. I haven't told your dad about you. Not now. I just can't do it now.

I could feel him stealing glances my way. But I chose to ignore it. Patuloy ako sa paglalaro sa breakfast ko. I was not really in the mood to eat anything. I was just forcing myself to eat for my baby's sake. 

"Baby," he called. I looked at him, but didn't say anything. "Are you still upset with me?"

I smiled weakly. "No. Just not in the mood."

"Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?"

I nodded. "Yeah." Then I looked at him. "And probably because of the movie I watched. I just got so affected."

Tumaas ang mga kilay niya. "Oh? What was it about?"

"It was about a couple who loved each other but didn't end up together."

"Why didn't they end up together?" he asked without much interest.

I looked at him. "Because of lies." Natigilan siya sa pagkain.

"Is that so..." he muttered above whisper. He looked uncomfortable.

"Yeah... I just don't get it. Why do people have to lie to their partners? Why do they have to hurt the people who love them genuinely?" 

"I'm sure they their own valid reason why they lie."

"A lie is still a lie. May it be big or small. A lie can ruin everything."

He suddenly reached for my hand. "Forget about that movie. You looked so affected. It's just a movie, 'by."

I smiled bitterly. "Right. It's just that I can't seem to forget the lesson I've learned in that movie."