Chapter 18

Daan

I have woken up in Beth's arms and Taytum on top of me. It is a bit before we actually have to get up, so I let them sleep a little more and just enjoy the moment.

I watch Taytum's chest rise and fall so peacefully. Furthermore, I study the freckles that are scattered across her face. 

"Good morning. How did you sleep?" Beth asked when she woke up.    

"Perfect" I state. "And you?" 

"Same" she replies.

We lay in the same position for many minutes, neither of us wanting to move.  "Are you excited for our game?" She asks, breaking the silence. "Mmm, I am. I'm kinda nervous though." 

"Hey! You will do great, just as always." She says reassuringly. We eventually got out of bed and made sure that we didn't wake up Taytum. We both got ready for our game.

Breakfast is pretty quiet as we are both focused on the upcoming game against Manchester City. Soon enough it is time to wake up Taytum.

"Good morning baby girl." I said when I walked into our room. She woke up slowly. "Good morning, did you sleep well sweetie?"

She looked at me tired and shook her head. "I-I don't f-feel good."

"Do you feel like you have to puke?" She shook her head again. "My head and tummy hurts".

"Okay. The only thing I can do is to give you a paracetamol, because we have a match, and we can't stay home. That means you have to come with us, like always.

She came slowly out of our bed. "Let's go to your room and get dressed, okay?" I asked.

She shook her head, while putting her hand in the air.

"Up, up." She said, with puppy eyes.

...

When we arrived we got on the bus. Beth and I sit together, with Taytum on my lap, sleeping and wrapped in a blanket.

We were a bit early, so we were the first ones in the bus.

When the rest of the team arrived, we made a small talk for a few minutes, but then most of the girls put headphones in doing their pregame hype up routine.

Soon enough we arrived at the stadium, there are already many fans here.

We got out of the bus, I was carrying Taytum, since she was still sleeping.

We make it into the locker room and everyone changes into their practice gear. I woke up Taytum, so she could change too.

She always wants to wear the same things we wear, so I changed her quick in a mini Arsenal training suit. I bring Taytum to the dugout, where she always sits with the substitutes.

We have a quick warm-up before again returning to the locker room. Soon enough we are in our kits.

Joe comes in and gives us a quick speech. It's almost time to go out into the tunnel and line up.

The stadium is almost completely full of people dressed in red and blue.

The whistle blows and we are off. It is pretty uneventful for the first few minutes. Both sides have had about equal possession time. 

Soon Leah sent me a beautiful ball. I drop it down right in front of me. I look forward but see both of our forwards are covered. Not only that, but I see Viv start to make a run past her defender.