ꨄ︎ grateful ꨄ︎

"Babe."

Your hand returns to the wheel as soon as your girlfriend grabs the cigar you offer her. The smoke you release from your mouth leaks through the window that's slightly open on your side. The chilly winter air caressing your face as you drive to the Boulevard.

"We have to buy fruit," Lana comments quietly. You don't need to look at her to know she's reading from the errand list that she made herself. She always forgets to buy some stuff.

"We have to buy a bunch of stuff. With this corona thing we barely run errands, babe."

"Plus it's winter. I don't like getting out of bed."

You could literally hear the tone of laziness in that sentence. And sincerity. That makes you half-smile. You don't like getting out of bed either, you'd rather be snuggled with her under the covers.

But you had to adopt your adult facets and get your asses out of the house.

When you get to the supermarket, both of you put on your masks and walk inside. After a security guard measures your temperature and supplies you with some hand sanitizer, Lana is quick to grab a cart.

You begin walking the aisles without haste, looking for the items on her list. Crap, her calligraphy is perfect.

"What are we goin' to do for Valentine's Day, hon?"

You stop inspecting grocery shelves the second your brain collapses. Holy shit! Valentine's is in a few days! Jeez, how could you forget it? You haven't even thought of a present for your girlfriend yet, something that definitely didn't happen last year.

"We're gonna spend the day at home for sure so we can sleep all day, sound good?"

You look at Lana, whose shiny eyes tell you she's smiling. Damn mask, it deprives you of seeing the most beautiful gesture in the world.

"But first we watch a movie, with popcorn. Or ice cream?"

"How about hot cocoa instead?"

As you two start making plans, the cart fills up with the groceries you need to keep surviving. You don't stop thinking about the special gift for her in no time. What could she want?

Maybe an engagement ring. You dismiss the idea quickly. You don't know if she wants to marry, with you. Besides that you've only been together for two years and wouldn't taking that step be too early?

Yes, you definitely want to spend the rest of your life with her. And you would be lying if you said the engagement rumors that started a few months ago haven't awakened a small wish that was true.

But what if she doesn't want to spend the rest of your life with you? What if things don't work out? It would break your heart.

"What's on your mind?" Lana asks softly as you both make your way to the cash register to pay.

"Nothing... I just hope we don't forget anything. "

"Yeah, same."

After leaving the supermarket, you leave all the bags in the car trunk with your girl's help. When you're done with that task, Lana grabs something from one of the bags.

She starts to open the Kellogg's cereal cup and you, leaning gently against your car, contemplate her. Since there are no people around, you decide to take off your mask for a moment. Then you proceed to grab you phone.

Lana manages to open the cup and places the lid in her jeans pocket. Gosh, she looks so good in those. Her eyes connect with yours. The way you're staring at her makes her a bit shy.

"Stop that."

"Sorry, can't do. You're too beautiful," she rolls her eyes. "It's true. Can I take a picture of you?"

She looks so confused now. "Why?"

"'Cause having photos of you in my gallery is always a privilege."

Once again, she rolls her eyes but agrees to your request. "Fine, but wait, lemme pretend I have no clue about it. Those are always the best."

------

------

"Jeez, why do you always look so good in photos?" You ask after drooling a bit, showing her the one you just took.

"Because I'm Lana Del Rey, hon."

The one who now rolls her eyes is you; you cannot fight against those real words. On the other hand, you love that she talks that way about herself. Only you know the gray days she went through a few months ago due to the comments of people that only talk shit on the internet.

But you don't want to think about it too much; the present is what matters, that she's more than fine now, with a confidence in herself that no one can tear down.

You tenderly wrap your hand around her waist when she stands next to you.

"Want some?"

"No, thanks, babe," you kindly decline her cereal. "Uhm, but... I do have to tell you something."

The sudden seriousness that appears in your voice causes her green emeralds to instantly travel from the cloudy sky to you.

"It's very important," you carry on as she's silent.

"I love you too." A mischievous beam peeks through her lips when surprise shines on your face. "Yep, you need to change your strategy. I already know that little game of yours by heart."

You pout. "It was fun."

"Scared the hell out of me just to tell me you love me? It wasn't fun!" You can't help but smile. "The first time you did it I got so mad. I thought you were going to break up with me!"

"I know, you didn't talk to me for hours. But breaking up with you is the last thing I want."

You bring your other arm around her waist as well. Lana keeps eating her cereals while your gaze get lost in the sky. You inhale some of the fresh air, remembering how good it feels to breathe without a mask on.

Yeah, you know that it's very important to take care of yourself, and at the same time of others, but hell, for how much longer will people have to deal with masks? This virus thing has ruined so many good shit, honestly.

"I'm fucking grateful to have you."

Your heart melts with those words. You look at the beautiful person who just said them, who's smiling tenderly.

"I'm also grateful to have you," Lana leans forward, placing a soft kiss on your lips. "And I also love you so fucking much."

She giggles when you gently take her face to keep kissing her. Her lips taste really sweet, more than usual, an addiction that you can't resist.

On the way home, with the soft music of the radio, with her sitting next to you, taking some selfies and pictures not only of you but also at sunset, you're completely sure that you don't need anything else in the word to be truly happy.

Not as long as you have her.