ꨄ︎ kiss under the mistletoe ꨄ︎

jennie 🐻

Hey 4:16 p.m.
Can you please bring me Lux's rattle? I left it in the living room 4:16 p.m.

The incoming message lights up your phone screen while you're busy eating cookies. Jen baked like a bunch of them and they're simply scrumptious, you can't put them down. The Christmas season is truly beautiful, there's food everywhere.

jennie 🐻

Stop eating my cookies btw 4:16 p.m.

You stifle a chuckle as you type your answer.

why won't you let me be happy? 😪
4:17 p.m.

i'm on my way ma'am 🏃🏃🏃
4:17 p.m.

After stashing a couple of cookies in your jacket pocket, you hurry out of the kitchen and make your way to the living room. The last thing you need is another scolding from your bossy friend.

You arrive at your destination just as you collide with another person. A colorful rattle and your phone fall to the floor as you and Lana are practically holding each other, gazes connecting in sync.

"Shit. Sorry, honey!"

"I- Uhm- No, I'm sorry- I- I wasn't paying attention." You stutter idiotically, feeling a slight blush on your cheeks.

Having her so close has always made you nervous beyond all logical explanation.

"It's all right. You're okay?"

Lana puts some distance between the two of you, her hands leaving your arms to pull strands of her long hair out of her perfect face. You avert your gaze to avoid staring at her in awe.

Her beauty blows your mind every time without fail.

"Y-yes, all good." You then proceed to pick up the items that fell to the floor. "I was actually coming for this," you shake the rattle, which makes a noise too annoying for your liking, "Jen sent me."

Your friend frowns. "She did? She sent me for it too," Lana states, her gaze traveling from the toy to you. "She kicked me out of bed, can you believe that?"

You laugh softly. "I can, actually. She's so bossy."

"Well, I am too, but she's way worse. She's evil, in fact."

The sound of your new chuckle, plus the way your smile reaches your eyes, has Lana being the one to look at you in wonder. Years of friendship and she always feels the same silly way around you, willing to give you the moon and stars just to see that beautiful smile always plastered on your face. Agh, so corny, it doesn't make sense.

"Don't tell her I said that."

"Don't worry, your secret is safe. I-"

For some reason-not at all because of your nervousness of noticing her intense, loving gaze on you and feeling like you might die in your spot-your eyes flicker upward.

Well..... Fuck.

The way you seem to freeze doesn't go unnoticed by Lana, who immediately follows the direction of your gaze. Her heart, instead of stopping, beats faster. There's a lovely (damn!) mistletoe hanging just below the frame of the living room. You two could have sworn it wasn't there this morning when you arrived. Or was it and you didn't even notice it? Either way, it's real and it's there, silently and patiently waiting for two people to stand under it.

Those two people happen to be you and Lana right at this exact moment.

The first to freak out is you, far from subtle.