ꨄ︎ when you know, you know ꨄ︎

Rehearsal dinner day

Margaret has a plan.

Ever since she introduced you to Lana at that festival a few months ago, you've been acting so weird. She caught you stalking her Instagram account a couple of times, smiling idiotically at your phone screen. You clearly have a huge crush on the singer, but every time Margaret brings up the subject, you deny everything and play dumb, as if the blush on your cheeks didn't give you away.

You just need a little nudge to take the initiative, because if you haven't done it yet, it's because you're afraid it might not be reciprocated. And to find that out, Margaret can't do it alone; she's very good friends with Lana but not that close. There's someone who actually spends more time with her in the recording studio, working.

So Taylor is also part of the plan.

But the blonde is so eager to be some sort of undercover Cupid agent, dinner has barely been going on for less than fifteen minutes and she can't hold back another second.

"She looks so pretty today, don't you think?"

Lana looks at Taylor next to her with a confused little smile as her fork moves on her plate.

"Who?" She whispers back, scanning the entire table of guests. There are some handsome men present tonight, family and friends of the soon to be husband and wife. She didn't know her friend was interested in any of them.

Taylor notices how lost Lana is and soon glances discreetly to the front, grinning all the while in that way that makes her blue eyes sparkle with mischief. "Next to Maggie. Her."

Following the gaze, Lana finds herself looking directly across the table. Sitting next to Margaret is her best friend, you. Electrifying sparks tickle the brunette's skin at the sight of you laughing about who knows what. She wants to kiss you so very bad, it makes her insides writhe with longing and impatience. Tonight would be the perfect occasion to do so, to flirt with you beyond an Instagram post. And yet she can barely bring herself to talk when you're around. It doesn't make any sense.

"I hear she's single," Taylor adds, her gaze turning suspicious at the way Lana just stares at you like you're the only person here.

Not for much longer, though. Because Lana almost immediately snaps her head back to Taylor, her thoughts all over the place.

"Wait, you like her?"

The blonde opens her eyes a little, caught off guard. "What? No! I don't like her. Not like that," she cackles a giggle to try to calm her nerves. She can't give her friend the wrong idea, she thought her hints were being rather obvious. Change of strategy then. "Do you like her?"

Well, that was perhaps too direct but necessary.

The surprised one now is Lana, who leaves her utensils resting on the plate as her mind tries to formulate some quick lie in response. But the words that slip from her lips are completely unexpected.

"I like men, Tay."

On the other side of the table, Margaret continues to recall anecdotes stored in the back of her mind as you take a sip from your wine glass. The rest of the people present at this rehearsal dinner fade away as your eyes connect with a pair of green ones. You were casting careful glances in her direction for the last twenty minutes, hoping that Lana would look back at you just once. And now that she does, it's not like you expected. She offers you a faint half-smile, the twinkle in her eye gone.

You automatically know something is not right.

Grabbing your phone that was resting in your lap, you quickly open your Instagram DMs.