ꨄ︎ she doesn't want to marry - not with him ꨄ︎

"Will you marry me, baby?"

Lana has dreamed of this moment her entire life. The man of her dreams asking her to become her life partner. But as Jake is on her knee, showing her the sparkling diamond ring with a smile on his face, she feels nothing.

Not enthusiasm. Not happiness. Much less love, not even a hint.

"Jake, this is... Nice... But we've only been fucking for, like, two months?"

The young man stands up, his smile widening. "Yeah but, I heard your song, baby. You wanna get married and have kids and shit."

Lana chuckles at his words.

"I never said your name now did I?"

Jake frowns in confusion. Apparently she hurt his feelings because he slams the small ring box shut.

"Sorry, I-"

"Nah, don't worry, I get it," he shrugs. "We're still together anyway, right?

Lana forces a smile. "Yeah, about that..."

About fifteen seconds later, if not sooner, the door to her house is yanked shut as well. Lana quickly walks over to the window, watching as her now ex-boyfriend gets on his motorcycle and drives off. Only then, a small laugh escapes her lips.

That was the most random thing that ever happened to her. He just showed up out of nowhere to propose to her without even asking her how she's doing or something. Men are seriously eccentric creatures.

On her way back to her room, a genuine smile returns to her face as she hears you humming along to the beat of Hollywood Bowl. You have an obsession with that song, she swears.

"Guess what just fucking happened."

You leave the vape on the nightstand to take the sundae Lana offers you. She's soon climbing into bed with you, turning down the volume of the music on your cell phone.

"I hate riddles. Spill."

You're already bringing a scoop of ice cream to your mouth. Your little moan of pleasure at the deliciousness of the flavors and chocolate sauce have your friend losing her focus for a split second. You don't even notice.

"I- Um- I was on my way to the kitchen when Jake arrived. I barely got a chance to say anything and he just proposed."

That's a twist you weren't expecting. Your eyes go wide in shock.

"What?"

Lana eats the cherry that was on top of her ice cream. "I know!"

You don't know how to react to the news. Still stunned, you clear your throat, trying to find the words.

"So... You're getting married?"

"Fuck no!" Lana quickly denies with some amusement. "I don't love him! I just broke up with the guy."

"Wait, what. I thought you liked him!"

"Yeah but I'm not in love with him. Or with any man I date, really. They're just simple flings. You know me at all, woman?"

Her accusation has you chuckling slightly. You should feel like a bad friend for feeling such relief right now. Lana dating other people is a pain you've gotten used to. But the thought of her committing to her partner until death do them part... That's just a deeper kind of pain you don't ever want to know.

"In that case, welcome back to the single bitches club, miss Grant."

"Home sweet home!"

Amidst laughter, more gossip and inside jokes that only the two of you could understand, the empty ice cream cups are being left on the nightstand within minutes. You grab the sunscreen and start putting some on your legs while Lana lies down on the bed after taking a hit on her vape.

The sight of her releasing the smoke is simply majestic.

"I kind of feel bad for him, for Jake. You should've seen the way he left... Fucking mad but sad too, I think."

"Well, If I were him and I proposed and you turned me down, I'd be sad as fuck too," you casually say, spreading sunscreen now on your arms. "Don't worry, he'll get over it."

Lana sits upright on the bed again. Her green eyes intensely following the gentle circular motions you provide on your glowing skin. She only averts her gaze when you start to take off your flowered strappy dress so you can get on with the rest of your body. Why does she feel nervous now? There's so much trust between the two of you, it's not like she hasn't seen you half naked before.

Despite all her attempts to be discreet and respectful, she does stares at you at one point. You're wearing a new bikini set, both pieces of clothing a mix of blue and navy green, just like the sea. You look so gorgeous, so damn alluring.

"I can't reach my back... Help?"

She smiles softly. "Turn around silly."

Pushing your phone out of the way, which is still playing your favorite playlist, you move closer to Lana. She rolls her eyes as you playfully leave a kiss on her nose.

You press your lips together at just the first touch of a pair of hands on your back, rubbing lotion into your skin in the slowest, most delicate way anyone has ever touched you. Lana can't help but take all the blessed time in the world, smiling to herself the second your shoulders drop a little, letting go of the tension, and you relax completely.

She's the one who breaks the silence when she starts massaging your lower back, the sunscreen making your now protected skin look even brighter; it has her truly dazzled.

Even though shyness keeps her voice from rising above a whisper, she still says it.

"I wouldn't turn you down."

"What?" Eyes remain closed. You're way too lost in your own little world.

"If it had been you, I wouldn't turn you down. How could I?"

Consciousness returns to you. As off guard as before, you open your eyes abruptly. Only this time you don't cough but laugh a bit, ignoring like a champ the way your heart is hammering against your chest.

"Are you telling me that if I proposed to you, would you accept? Yeah, sure."

"Yes. I'd rather marry you than some idiot. And unlike them, I do love you."

Slowly, you turn your head to look at her. Her cheeks are slightly flushed, her deep gaze scrutinizing your soul. Tickles travel throughout your body, adrenaline too.

One of her hands comes to rest at your cheek, the other still on your back, nails barely scratching your skin.

"I don't understand how you can be single with how fucking beautiful you are."

Her erratic, warm breath against your lips making you lose your senses. "I was waiting for you."

Your lips crash against hers with impatience and a hellish desire. Lana accepts your kiss more than gladly, kissing you with a passion that has you gasping for air in just a few seconds.

You soon turn around and straddle her lap. Hands run down your sides as she brings you impossibly closer, her mouth detaching from yours to attack your neck with wet, open-mouthed kisses.

You hold onto her shoulders, throwing your head back, enjoying how good her lips feel on your skin.

"So fucking pretty..." She mumbles as she leaves a trail of kisses down to your cleavage. Shivers of pleasure run through your spine as her hand buries itself in your hair, tugging gently.

You smile the moment her lips return to yours. Lana feels her own heart skipping a beat as your hands slide the straps of her dress down her arms. All plans to go to the pool and enjoy the rest of the summer afternoon outside are dashed when you bring your mouth to her ear, soft and careful hands trailing slowly down her bare torso meanwhile, driving her crazy.

"Our honeymoon will be oh so sweet."

-

a/n: sorry this is short and sucks!! i'm struggling to write *good* stuff lately :((

sending good energy to y'all <3