Chapter 17

"Here she is! The sinner!"

"She is the devil!"

"Disgusting whore!"

"Burn her!"

                                                                                               ~*~

It all started when I didn't have any food left home. I was forced to go out of my protective little bubble and meet with people. It was late afternoon so I thought there would be lesser people than in the morning.

I was wrong.

The first shop didn't let me in. When they saw me walking towards them on the street, they simply turned the closed sign and locked for the night. I was feeling unlucky, but I didn't think of it too much until the fruit lady where I was a regular, sent me away saying: "I hope you will burn in hell child." While making a cross symbol over her chest.

"What do you mean? What did I do?" I asked her helplessly not understanding why this lady was so harsh with me. But she just ignored me, like I wasn't even standing there.

I had my basket barely full when I started noticing other people's expression while passing them. It was a mix of disgust, concern and anger. When I wasn't next to them anymore, I could hear them whisper behind my back...It was like a wildfire being spread. Children were roughly yanked back by their mother, not to be in my way.

I thought maybe my dress was to be fault, but no one looked at it.

Trying to ignore it, I checked my list. Meat and bones for Beast. Turning left I got in the butchery, the little bell ringing above me as I stepped through the doorstep.

Carl the 6 feet tall butcher who was the son of the owner looked at me with a serious face.

"I cannot sell you anything Louisa. I am sorry. Please leave the store." His eyes were sad. I always thought Carl liked the company of men rather than woman, but I never asked him. Despite his size he was as gentle as a lamb with a feminine aura around him.

"What? Why?" I was confused and angry at the same time. He was the last person I thought would be rude.

"Everyone is talking behind my back, they are watching me like I am going to kill them!" I was almost yelling at this point, luckily, I was the only customer.

"You really don't know about it?" He let out a deep sigh.

"No I don't." I spit. I was slightly irritated at this point.

"People know what kind of service you are offering to women Louisa... and well.... they think of you as the devil in an innocent girl's disguise." The words quickly left his mouth in a breathless sentence.

I started to get pale, sweat appeared on my forehead. Who told them?

"As I heard women find it disgusting, and well you know men... they are upset you snatch the women away from them." He looked sorry the way he described it, but I was grateful for his honesty. I needed to know everything at this point. I needed to survive somehow. "I think they want to kill you before you spread this sickness as they are referring to it in the village."

Now this information totally got me of guard.

"Carl I've been living here for almost 2 years now! They are stupid to think it's going to "spread" now."

"I know Louisa, but it is not me you should convince. I know you are a good person."

Suddenly in the distant I heard people talking.

"You need to go, they are here." Carl's eyes went big with shock as he looked behind me.

Spinning around I was met with a crowd holding knife, rakes walking toward the butchery.

"Oh my god." We said at the same time looking at each other.

                                                                                         ~*~

"Quickly this way!" He was leading me down to the basement.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked him while catching my breath. Who the fuck builds a staircase this long?

"Because I know what it feels like to be different, and maybe someday I will be brave enough to accept myself like you did."

Honestly, I was not shocked by his secret, as I was saying I could always feel a more feminine gentler aura around him, than around other man.

We arrived at the bottom where boxes, ropes and knives were scattered around.

It looked suspiciously clean despite being an old basement but more importantly I couldn't see any doors leading outside or anywhere at all.

Maybe it was not a good idea to come down with a stranger you only know by look.

"And now?" I started to turn around looking at Carl, but he grabbed me and forced a wet cloth on my face.

I tried to hold my breath back knowing its most likely chloroform or something else, but I have my limits too.

Seeing dark little spots dancing on my peripheral vision I tried to hold it, but I could feel my body weight dragging me down towards the floor.

My eyelids dropped from their heaviness making my world swallowed by darkness. I was afraid, are they going to kill me? I was feeling dizzy even though my eyes were closed.

But the betrayal I felt was worse. We should have stand together in this kind of situation.

I could hear many boots thundering down the steps where I just ran down myself.

"There she is! Good job Carl!"

"I am sorry. Take care of yourself." He whispered into my ears as he put me down onto the floor.

"Here she is! The sinner!"

"She is the devil!"

"Disgusting whore!"

"Burn her!"

I could feel someone grabbing my shoulders roughly shaking them. My head was rolling on and of my shoulder, I didn't have any control or strength in my neck anymore.

Whoever it was, had an awful smell of sweat.

I could feel their breath on my ears as a whisper made its way through my unconsciousness.

"Do you remember me, you women loving arrogant slut?" He sounded so familiar, but I didn't have any time to think as the numbness overtook both my body and mind. 

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! :) Thank you so much for reading!