Chapter 5

Spring festivals are the most popular here. I looked around the street where people were laughing in groups while children were playing and chasing each other.

Our spring festival is a decades-old tradition in our capital city where the streets are buzzing with the inviting shouts of vendors, heavy bargaining and loud animals. In the evening we celebrate renewal and good harvests with a street ball.

Musicians play different songs while lovers, friends and families are dancing together. This is a perfect time for horny teenagers to meet up in different hiding spots away from their parent's watchful eyes, even though they shouldn't be having sex until marriage. But who cares, right? Whatever happens at the spring festival stays here, or not... in the case of a pregnancy.

"Oh, my God, Louisa, look!" Mia, who had her arm in mine, suddenly cried out scaring me to death while poking wildly with her finger to the right. "Baby geese!" She was screaming like a 10-year-old little girl, jumping up and down. Not even waiting for my respond she let me go and ran up to the poor animals.

"Oh my God! You are so cute! And you too! And you there too!" She said, already holding three little yellowish bundle in her hands, who began beeping as a sign of their dislike.

With a chuckle I walked in front of the disapproving saleswoman, catching an adorable little gray gosling who looked back at the others in silent fear.

"These geese will be around 5 kilograms if they grow up and then you can cut them down" said the big woman with a grin on her face while Mia's face run out of blood. "For only you I give 2 geese for 10 silver, how does that sound?"

"That's very kind of you, but we're just here to pet them." I tried to put on my most innocent smile while gesturing Mia to put them back already.

"But the other girls wouldn't say anything about it Louisa! I only need to discuss it with Rosalinda, and then-"She already started to plan keeping the little goslings.

"Wait a minute! Are you the courtesans from the street? "Asked the woman with a sullen face. There was no sign of her fake smile anymore.

"My husband goes there every week with the pathetic excuse, that he goes to the pub with his mates, but I've always known he is lying! I wash his clothes after all, and he always smells like a flower meadow in spring." The woman's face became increasingly gloomy as she glared at us. Shit. Another heartbroken woman.

"Miss, he is a very lucky man to have you I'm sure." I said awkwardly.

"My mother used to tell me that all men are like this... All of them is going after their dick, and no one cares that he got five mouths to feed at home!! Instead he spends half his wages on whores!"

We slowly started to back away from the table. The woman was so angry now, that she didn't even notice that we disappeared. When we were out of sight, we looked at each other and laughed.

"She almost slaughtered us." laughed Mia, the sadness completely fading away from her face.

                                                                                        ~*~

After looking around for more animals (Mia insisted), we headed to see the hunting pups.

Mia picking up one, started to shower it with her love, talking to it in a high-pitched voice which made the poor pup's ear flatten in fear.

I just stood there watching her, as the sun started to set down, its red strikes painting her red fierce mane into a shiny reddish-gold mass.

Mia has been my best friend since I got here two years ago, and after the first meeting we became inseparable. We know each other biggest fears and secrets and insecurities.