13

Shehnaaz threw her bag on the couch and sat next to it. Switching on the tv, she increased the volume of the music channel.

Kya horaha hei yaha?? Itna loud music??

Janaki entered from kitchen, closing her ears with her hands. She had a spatula in her hand, as she was preparing some snacks for them.

Reducing the volume, Shehnaaz looked at her with a sad pout. Janaki chuckled softly and sat next to her.

Kya hua aaj office meim?

Shehnaaz thougt for a moment on what answer should she give. Did she had any valid reason? Was is it a big deal that Sidharth didn't look at her when she passed the file to him? She felt guilty all of a sudden for thinking too much about it. She wasn't that important, that he should look at her for sure. She had no idea why she was hurt by this. Pushing those thoughts aside which were making her mad, she laid on the lap on Janaki.

Bass tired hu..

Shehnaaz said in her baby voice.

Janaki caressed her hair and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Ooh.. Mera bacha.. Chalo, meim chai aur garam garam dosa laati hu.. Tu khush ho jaayegi.

Shehnaaz grinned widely hearing about Dosa. South Indian foods made by Janaki were of another level. She rarely had those on her earlier days. But now, every day she was presented with a varieties of them.

Janaki patted on her cheeks and went back to the kitchen. But, the sadness she saw on Shehnaaz's face left her worried. She was no more a guest, she was family for them. Now days, Janaki was more close to Shehnaaz. Her heart adjured to hear the word maa from Shehnaaz for her. Because she was not less than Chandni now. Janaki wanted her complete right as the mother of Shehnaaz. But, she was always hesitant to express it, even to Lokesh.

After serving Shehnaaz with her dosa and tea, Janaki went on search of Lokesh around the house. He was no where to be found. Then only she remembered about his conversation about Prakash, his friend. Prakash was admitted in the hospital due to asthma attack. He was the one who stood as a support for both of them, when their own families went against their marriage.

Everything that was happening today was disturbing Janaki. The news about Prakash and then the sadness on Shehnaaz's face. She wanted to know the reason behind it and fill her heart with happiness.

Janaki got into her room and closed the door behind. She took her phone from the table and dialed Sidharth's number.

..

Working out till the last breath was the policy of Sidharth, when he was getting emotionally drained. Earlier days, if it was about his mother and father, now he had a person added to the list. She was disturbing his mind to no end. The complete ignorance from her side for the whole day was not acceptable for his heart.

She is no one for me.

He was tring to fix this thought in his mind for the last two hours and was almost succeeded. Hearing the ring from the phone he got out from the treadmill.

Ha.. Bolo aunty.

He said breathing heavily.

Janaki narrowed her eyes at the other end.

Kya kar raha dha tu?

Workout.. Kyu call kiya apne?

He took the towel from the side and wiped his face.

Bass aise hi call kiya.

He chuckled and sat on the bean bag.

Batao na jaldi. I want to continue my workout.

She was hesitant to ask about their office matters, but she couldn't control when it came to Shehnaaz.

Wo office meim meeting sab ache se hogaya? Shehnaaz was so tensed in the morning that's why I asked.

Hearing the name that he was trying to keep out of his mind, he took a moment of silence.

Yeah. Everything went well.

Janaki sighed softly in relief.

Ok.. She seems to be a little gloomy today. Anyways you continue. Friends ke saat kuch ladai hui hogi.

Sidharth mind was back on Shehnaaz as the call came to an end. He had seen her face, but didn't noticed that she was gloomy. Yes, she was silent all the day with him, but she was talking with Martin and Tanu. Then he remembered her argument with Tanu. He didn't hear anything, but it felt like that for him from a distance.

Janaki had left him with a worried mind for Shehnaaz. But, he couldn't do anything. How can he call someone and ask about Shehnaaz? He had never cared to indulge in someone's personal matter.

Throwing the cushion aside he moved back to treadmill. One more round was necessary now.

...

Lokesh returned home pretty late. Shehnaaz was already asleep and Janaki was waiting for him in the leaving room, when he entered inside.

Is he fine now?

Janaki got up and walked hurriedly towards him. Collecting his bag from his hand, she placed it on the table.

Haa.. Fine now. Manav wasn't able to avoid his meeting, so I stayed their till he came.

Lokesh side hugged Janaki who was becoming emotional.

Poor Manav. If bhabhi was still alive..
Aisa kyu hota hei Lokesh? Jo hamara sab kuch hei, wahi humse cheenke chale jaate hei zindingi... Aur humeim tapne keliye zinda rakhti hei.

She said wiping her tears. Veena was like an elder sister for Janaki, when she got shifted with Lokesh after their marriage. Janaki had no one in Mumbai. Her friends from college were almost at different places in the world. She had only Lokesh and some of his friends. And Veena was the only one she could connect with. She behaved like a mother, a sister and a guide, everything for her.

She was the one whom advised Janaki to apply for the job in the bank. She knew the helplessness of a housewife. But soon, Prakash and Veena shifted from there to Mumbai as he got transferred. They had barely talked after that. After two years of them shifting, the news of Veena's death came to her ears. She was really sad hearing that.

Chodo na yeh saari bateim.. He is fine now and Manav is also fine. Chal.. I'm hungry. Kuch khila do.

He said making a pleading face and kissed her temple. She smiled and went to kitchen.

...

Sidharth and Shehnaaz have decided to act normal from the next day. Both of them were guilty for expecting too much from each other. He was her savour and she was just another girl, whom he helped unfortunately. This was it! Nothing more to expect from this relationship. They weren't even friends.

Both were disturbed and confused. Both were going through some emotions which they have never felt before. Both of them just wanted to get rid off those as soon as possible. Was it possible??