Chapter 44

"Yoshio,you really should stop visiting the shrine. You know how much Tomoehates you appearing on this sacred ground." I complained andcrossed my arms.
I glared at the yokai sitting on the other sideof the table.
"Well, I know that he hates it, but I don't reallycare."
Sighing in frustration I took a sip from the hotchocolate I ordered a while ago.
"Fine. I won't put another footon this sacred place of yours. But only, because you asked me to."Yoshio spoke up and looked out the window.
"Thank you," Ireplied with a small smile.
"Do you think you will ever be ableto return to your world?" Yoshio asked out of nowhere causing me tonearly choke on my drink.

Afterrecovering from my close death I put the cup down and glanced out thewindow.

"Idon't know, dude. I don't even know what caused me to end up here. Iclearly won't try to get overrun by a truck here just to go back. Inthe end, I will just die here." I joked and crossed my hands.
"Well,I think trying it out that way would really be a bad idea. Do youactually want to return home?"
"Hmm... I can't really tell. Isomehow want to return, but on the other hand, something seems tohold me back. I feel complicated." I explained and picked up thecup.
Yoshio looked away with an irritated expression.
"Well,I guess we should drop that topic for now." He muttered, rubbingthe back of his head.
"Anyways! Do you have any plans for theupcoming week?" The male asked with a small blush.
"Well..."I tilted my head thinking about any plans I could have"Actually-"
"Hoshi!!!" A faint voice called out from theother side of the window.
Turning my head in surprise I spottedMizuki pressing his face against the glass.
"Oh my god, Mizuki!Get away from the window." I growled at him.
"Please come out!I have something for you!" He nearly yelled, his head stillpressing against the window.
"Fine! I'll come, but please stopdoing this. It looks really creepy." I sighed and stood up.
"Don'tworry Yoshio. I'll be right back." I excused myself and hurriedoutside, not wanting to cause a scene.
Meeting the snake outside,I gave him a questioning look. I told Mizuki that I will be backlater, so what is he doing here?. He knows how much Yoshio hates itif anyone interrupts our meetings, especially if it's him or Tomoe.

"So?Why are you here? I told you that I will be back later. Are you doingthis on purpose?" I asked and crossed my arms.
"Well, maybe Ido. Who knows?" He shrugged his shoulders, grinning.

So,yes. He keeps doing that on purpose.

"Why?"I asked bluntly, glaring at him.

"Well,because I don't want you to meet up with this guy. Can't you justspend time with me instead?"

"Mizuki,I-"
"Please~" He begged and started clinging onto my waist,like a child begging for candy.
"Could you please, not do thisin public?" I asked under my breath, as people started starring.

Mizukilooked up at me with a smirk.
"Public pressure really is tough,huh?" He teased.
He is doing this on purpose... I looked aroundand let out a sigh. That backstabbing snake. I should have let Nanamideal with him back then.
"Right now I am with Yoshio. If youwant to spend time with me you should just ask me in a normal way.I'll come back to the shrine in a few hours, until then you can thinkabout a normal way to ask me out." I replied with a sigh and pushedhim off my waist.
"Alright. I'll wait for you then." The snakegrinned satisfied and left.
I clutched my nose in annoyance andwent back inside.

"What were you talking about?" Yoshioasked with an annoyed expression.
"Nothing important. Mizukibegged me to come back to the shrine since we have a lot of visitorstoday and Nanami seems to be busy enough. So, I told him that I'll beback soon, to deal with all those prayers and wishes." I lied witha smile, trying to calm Yoshio down.
"I see. Well, it must bereally hard for you to actually spend your time freely. You're agoddess after all."
"Yeah, it's kind of tiring." I laugheddryly and took another sip of my now cold chocolate "But I guessit's okay. I have found a lot of friends thanks to being a goddess. A lot of enemies too, but I enjoy my life the way it is at themoment."

*A few hours later*
"I'm back," I shouted asI slammed to shrine door open.
"No one cares!" Tomoe shoutedfrom the other side of the shrine.
"How mean." I scoffed andthrew my shoes into the next corner.
I made my way towards the dining room and flopped down a pillow, leaning against thetable.
"Hoshi!" A high pitched voice shouted.
The nextmoment Nanami rushed into the room.
"You're finally back! Ireally thought that psycho might have kidnapped you or something."She sighed in relief and sat down next to me.
"Don't worry hewouldn't dare. He knows that he won't see me ever again if I tryto." I explained with a calm voice "Anyway, where's Mizuki? Heliterally embarrassed me in front of the town a few hours ago."
"Idon't know. I haven't seen him since he went to town, to look foryou." Nanami scratched her cheek with a smile.
"What are yousmiling about?" I asked curiously.
"Oh, nothing."
"Really?Don't tell me you encouraged him to look for me..."
"Maybe."She smirked.
"Nanami, I know that you would be happy to see ustwo together. But I have to refuse. Not because I dislike him, butbecause I'm from another world. What if I just get sent back to myworld all of sudden? Mizuki would just be all by himself again. And Idon't want him to lose someone, who is important to him again.That's why I try to keep my distance. I don't want to hurt him..."I explained with a sigh, gazing out the window "I'm too scared totell him the reason, why I try to stay away from him. I don't want tohurt his feelings."
"I'm sorry... I never thought about thisbefore. Say, if you could choose between this world and your world,which one would you choose?" Nanami asked with a sadexpression.
"Of course I would stay here." I smiled, trying tocheer her up and stood up.
"It's cold outside. You should atleast wear warmer clothes." Nanami mentioned as I headed outside.
Not listening to her, I hopped down the terrace and walkedthrough the courtyard until I reached a tree on the other side. Ileaned against its bark and slowly slid down onto the ground. I letout a sigh and rested my head on my knees.
It's actually freezingoutside, with these clothes, but I didn't care right now. I feltreally down thanks to that conversation.
I'm not going to onlyhurt Mizuki, but everyone, if I really have to leave this world oneday.
"I don't want that to happen..." I sighed quietly andclosed my eyes.

A few minutes passed as I was lost in my ownthoughts. I heard steps coming closer and slowly opened my eyes,raising my head. Mizuki was standing in front of me, holding ablanket in his arms.
I didn't know what to say and just lowered myhead again. Mizuki quietly sat down right next to me and threw theblanket over our shoulders.
We sat there in silence. The rustlingof the tree's branches was the only sound around us.
Mizuki wasthe one to break the silence first.
"I actually eavesdropped onthe conversation you had with Nanami." He explained and scratchedhis cheeks in embarrassment.
I looked at him in surprise. I didn'twant him to find it out that way. I would have told him, once I'vemustered enough courage to do so. He must hate me for it now.
"I'msorry, that you had to find it out this way. I really wanted to talkto you about it." I apologized lowering my head in shame.
"It'sokay. I can't blame you for it. Well, since it's out now, you cantalk about it now." Mizuki replied with a smile.
I knew thatthis smile was nothing but a lie to hide his true emotions.
"I'msorry, that I might have to leave you too when the time comes. Youknow, I never really thought about returning, since I actuallyassumed that I died. But Yume told me that I just disappeared. So, Ididn't actually die in my world, I just kinda traveled to this world.I don't know how though. I really, really want to stay here if Icould. I really want to." I explained desperately "But... Younever know if I might just travel back world, without a warning. Imean I couldn't decide if I wanted to come here or not either. So thechances are high, that I won't be able to choose this time, too."
Mizuki didn't say anything, he just quietly listened toeverything I had to say.
"That's why..." I took a deep breathbefore continuing the sentence "I'm afraid to hurt you in thefuture. I don't want to hurt you, that's why I don't want to spendtime with you. I don't want you to get attached to me too much,because I would just hurt you in the end. I don't want you to loseanother person dear to you again."
I was too afraid to look atMizuki. I couldn't bear to see his hurt expression.
Suddenly Ifelt a weight on my shoulder and raised my head in surprise. Irealized that Mizuki was resting his head on my shoulder.
"Didn'tI just explain, why you shouldn't get attached to me?" I mutteredunder my breath.
"You did. And I decided to not care." Hereplied with a smile.
"You can't just not care about it. Youwill only lose someone you like again."
"No." The snakereplied bluntly and closed his eyes.
"What do you mean with no?"I asked confused.
"I won't let you leave. I'll make sure thatwhoever is behind all this, won't take you away from me."
Ilooked at him with a shocked expression. Is he for real?
"Areyou serious?" I asked with disbelieve.
"Of course I'm serious.I won't let you leave me." He smirked.
I just got flashbacks ofme getting kidnapped by him.
"So, you don't have to worry aboutus getting closer. Nothing will get between us this time."
Thistime? Is he also thinking about that time he kidnapped me? That timeTomoe came to save me. He stopped Mizuki from getting any closer tome. I still don't want to imagine what would have happened, if Tomoehadn't shown up in time.
"Are you really sure about that?" Iasked with a smile.
"I am. Nothing will take you away from me."
Damn... I hate how I'm happy to hear that kind of words sincethey have a hint of psychopath and Yandere in it. What is wrong withmy mental health?
I sighed quietly.
"Fine, if that's whatyou want. Then I'll spend more time with you from now on. But if youwant to do something together, please ask me in a more normal way."I explained with a slight smile and tilted my head to theside.

*Nanami's PoV*
That's so cute!!
"I think I'mgoing to throw up." Tomoe groaned as he looked outside.
"Hey,don't be like that. You should be happy that Hoshi is actuallyenjoying being with him." I complained and glared at him.
"Iwould be happy if they couldn't act like that around me."
"Theyare not around you. No one told you to watch them." I crossed myarms.
"They are in the courtyard, that I just wanted to clean."He explained.
"You are just jealous, that they are so close."
"I am not." He growled and sat down on a pillow.
"But Iam!" A deep voice suddenly shouted.
The cat suddenly entered theroom, after he heard our conversation.
"I can't believe thatthey are so close right now. Hoshi, you can't do this me!" Hewhined, as he sat down near Tomoe and opened a can of sardines.
"Pah, just let them be. Maybe they will move to Yonomori'sshrine. Then we'd finally have some peace here. And you can join themthere!" Tomoe shouted at Akaya as he quietly ate his fish.
"Heywhat's wrong with you?" I yelled at him.
"Nothing. Leave mealone." He growled, stood up, and left the room without anotherword.
I stare at the empty doorway for a while. What's gotteninto him all of sudden?
"Don't worry." Akaya suddenly spoke up"He is just kind of jealous. But don't worry it's not because ofHoshi. He doesn't love her or anything."
"I never saidthat-"
"I know, but I just wanted to say it before thatthought might cross your mind." He interrupted me with a smile andturned into a cat. "Now, if you don't mind. I'll play with somebirds."
Before I could say anything else, he hopped out thewindow.
"What did he mean?"

.

.

.

A/N

Hey everyone it's been a long time and I can't find any way to apologize to you. But I decided to finally continue this story. I won't just drop my story without saying anything. This story will not end until it is officially finished. I really apologize to everyone. And I can't blame those who lost interest. It's my fault after all.