Joseon Dynasty

(Miyeon's POV)

Right after I drank the potion, there was an odd sensation already. My whole body began to feel hot, and my vision blurred. Slowly, my eyes shut automatically. I'm pretty sure I passed out or something, but at some point, I opened my eyes. What? There was a girl in a pink hanbok, asleep next to me. I tried to focus more, but my eyes were still a little blurred. I was on a bed. The entire room was ancient-styled. Where was I?

I was in ancient Korea! Ancient Korea! I got up immediately, desperate to know what time period I was in. Instead, the servant next to me just jumped up and kneeled down to me with her head down.

"Princess! Sorry, I fell asleep. Please forgive me." Princess? That confirmed my surmise. It was indeed in ancient Korea. And I was a princess? What? Then I suddenly remembered what was dangerous about the potion. After you drank it, there was no going back. You would stay in a loop. The potion would send you at some period of time, and you would stay there for 100 years, only to restart your life without knowing yourself. I sat down, trying to ignore everything to just think.

"How could this be possible?" I thought to myself. "The potion was supposed to let me travel back in time. As myself, of course. But I wasn't a princess..."

No matter how much I tried to think, there was no clear explanation. I had to deal with it. I let the servant get up like how I saw in K-dramas.

"Who...who am I? Where am I? What am I doing?" The servant's face turned pale, and exclaimed, "Princess! You...you don't remember?"

"You're Princess Miyeon!" Just the first part startled me. I was Miyeon. But then why...

"You're in the palace! In Joseon!" The Joseon dynasty. I needed time to let all of this sink in, but the maid continued.

"Princess, you were taking a nap! Why-why don't you remember?" By the way the servant was panicking, I could tell I was close to her. Maybe it's okay to tell her everything. So, I did. The servant was now just as confused and terrified as I was. "But princess...what do you-" I stopped her, indicating it was now my turn to ask questions.

"So...I'm a princess?" The maid nodded. "My mother...who is she?" 

"She's the queen. And your father is the king."

"Which one?" I asked.

"King Taejong." Taejong? So my mother was the queen, not a concubine, and my father was the king.

"How old am I?" The servant said I was 18. This only made me more confused. I was only a couple of years apart from my modern age. "Also, what is your name?" 

"I'm Sooyun."

"That's a pretty name," I said. At this point, I really should be focusing on other stuff, not complimenting my servant. But I was too stressed and worried to care. I got up and walked out of the room, taking a walk around the garden. I took a look at all the trees, flowers, and birds outside. I had to embrace reality. Here is where I will spend the rest of my life.