Love Ever So Slight

(Miyeon's POV)

I should be shocked I didn't already freak out, but that doesn't even matter now. There was no going back for sure. I was trapped here. I loved watching K-dramas in ancient Korea, so that gave me some extra knowledge. I was in the palace, so I made sure to walk with great posture and fold my hands together on my stomach in a polite way.

'Wow, right now I seem kind of like Haesoo from Scarlet Heart Ryeo.'  I thought. I paced around the garden outside and later found Sooyun following me.

"Princess, as a servant, it's my job to assist you." She explained after I gave her an odd look. I didn't really care, so I let her stay around me. Now I can come back to thinking.

'Minnie and Shuhua...they'll stay in the moon forever, while I'll stay in ancient Korea forever...'

The whole idea seemed so sad, I didn't even want to think about it. But my brain refused, and I continued to think.

'Then again, Soojin, Soyeon, and Yuqi are will stay on Earth forever. Everyone is trapped in different places. Is this how cruel life is?' 

Yes, it had to be. Nothing was fair in life. Everyone's life is painful, but you might not see the pain from some people, that's all. Life. I don't want it anymore. It's so-

Bump.

I stumbled backward and lost my balance. An arm grabbed me and pulled me up from my fall. Just in time too. I focused my eyes to see what exactly had happened. What? There stood a prince in dark purple, still holding my arm from the fall. He was dressed just like the princes in the dramas, except his accessories and clothes were fancier and finer. 

"Princess Miyeon, are you okay?" I stood there speechless, just staring at his face. Who was he? Sooyun gave me a look that said something like, "Respond him."

"Ye-yeah." I didn't know what to do, so I just thanked him. "Thank you, uh...Prince..." 

The prince and Sooyun exchanged a worried glance. He was probably confused why I suddenly forgot his name.

"Prince Kyungrok," Sooyun whispered to me.

"Prince Kyungrok," I said finally. The prince grinned, trying not to show his concern, but I could still tell he was very perplexed and worried. I headed back to my room quickly with Sooyun. Meeting a prince was just too much.

"Sooyun, who was that?" I asked.

"That was Prince Kyungrok, the son of Concubine Hyeson. He's the 6th prince." 

"Oh." So I just met the prince of Hyeson. I've never heard about him or his mother in history books, so he must haven't been that important. Then again, I wasn't great at history. I was completely focused on being an idol to pay attention to stuff about ancient Korea during school. "Is he....close with me?"

"Prince Kyungrok? He...doesn't talk to you much, but..." Sooyun suddenly giggled.

"What?"

"You kind of have feelings for each other..." Sooyun then laughed out loud. What? Princess Miyeon had feelings for a prince? Sooyun must have seen my serious look because she stopped laughing. 

"How...how do you know?" 

"Well, almost the entire palace knows," Sooyun replied. "Everyone knew the king would eventually arrange a marriage for you two." This was like cold water being splashed on to me. 

"Wh-what do you mean?" I knew what this meant, I just couldn't process everything. 

"It means you'll marry Prince Kyunrok soon," Sooyun said like it was no big deal. On the inside, I was freaking out.

"When...when is that going to happen?" I asked.

"Maybe in the next...year or so." Next year? I'm for sure marrying him. I didn't even know him?

"What should I do? I can't marry him?" I said to Sooyun frantically.

"But...you love Prince Kyunrok! If you used to love him, you'll love him now," Sooyun said.

"It's not the same," I desperately tried to explain. "The old Princess Miyeon, she loved him. But me? I don't. I mean...I don't think I do..." The last thought just made me even more bemused. I never thought I would have these kinds of problems...

"No, Princess. You're still the same you," 

'Oh, if only you understood.'  I thought. "Just forget it. I...I want to eat." Mmmhh. Eating reduced my stress all the time. Back then, I couldn't eat much because of my job. I needed to go on a diet to maintain my body. But now that I'm here, I can eat as much as I want.

"Sooyun, can I have...some Dubu Kimchi? Oh, and some spicy Ddeok!" Soon, the dining table was filled with delicious, spicy, and oily food. The way I loved it. I dug right in, enjoying all the food.

Just when I had started eating, there were footsteps at the door. I looked up to see Prince Kyunrok walking in. I quickly stood up and did a curtsey to him. Sooyun backed up behind me too. Servants were supposed to do that.

"Miyeon, why are you eating all of this?" Kyunrok asked as he looked at the dining table. 

"This there anything wrong with eating this?"

"Did you forget what the doctor told you? Your body is weak. You shouldn't eat unhealthy food. He told you to eat healthy light foods, remember?" I nodded, pretending I did.

"Why did you come, Prince Kyunrok?"

"I was worried about you. It seemed like you forgot my name. And what you're supposed to be eating. Are you okay?" I was tempted to tell him everything, just like I did to Sooyun. But I couldn't. I don't know if I can trust him. Or if he'll even believe me.

"I...I just...forgot." That was absolutely no excuse why I could forget the name of my loved one, but Kyunrok seemed to play along with me. After the conversation, he left, and I was alone with Sooyun again. 

"Finally," I said as I sighed. 

"Princess! Why didn't you tell him the truth?" Sooyun asked.

"I don't know...I just...didn't feel like it."

"Princess, that was so sweet of Prince Kyunrok to say that! He's so nice to you!" By the way Sooyun's eyes glistened and the fact that her voice went up half an octave, I could tell she shipped us together. 

'Geez. I don't even know him.'  I said to myself. Still, I listened to the prince and ate soup instead. When I was alone eating again, I scanned for any signs of love when Kyunrok talked to me. I guess I didn't realize before, but I'm pretty sure my heart fluttered slightly during the conversation. Especially when he held me up after I bumped into him. And what Sooyun had said? He was sweet. So sweet and considerate. So maybe...I did like him slightly. Just ever so slightly.