Pressure

Grosvenor Square, 1813.
Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets on the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama.

Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters.

Or, perhaps, a phoenix will rise from the ashes as the astonishingly lovely Abigail Bentley is to be presented today. Can she remake her family's image? Or will the loss of the lady of the house prove too great for the Bentley household?

"Thank you very much Olivia." Abigail said as her lady's maid finished tightening her corset. "Now just the slip, and we can finally get the gown--" 

Abigail was cut off by shouting. The shouting of her brothers in fact. 

"You took it!" 

"No I didn't!" 

"Oh dear god, not today." Abigail sighed as she reached for her sea-foam colored robe. 

She had just tied it round her waist as she exited her room. 

"Boys!" She said in a rather stern tone, one that she was used to using by now. "Did I or did I not tell you that this was the one day I needed order. Now, I understand there is a lot of commotion going on, but if you can behave, and be my little princes today we can do whatever you want tomorrow. Maybe I'll even help you test out the new kite. We can get peanuts, and candy floss, and everything. But I need you to control yourselves today. Can you do this for me?" 

She was squatting now so that she could look the two in the eye.

"Yes Abby." They said in unison. 

"Thank you very much. Now give me the horse." She held out her hand calmly. 

Benjamin handed it over. With the wooden horse now in her hand, she stood up and turned back towards her room, her robe swishing at her feet. 

"Abby?" She heard Calvin asked. 

"Yes?" She turned around with her hand on the doorknob. 

"Well- what exactly are you doing today? I-I mean I know it's important, but what is it?" 

"I'm doing what I've always done. What I'm supposed to do. I'm taking care of our family." And with that, Abigail entered her room to finish getting ready.

Today is a most important day. For some, a terrifying one. For today is the day London's marriage minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls.

Abigail stepped out of her carriage. Her jewel encrusted white gown shown beautifully in the sunlight of the summer's day. Her father stepped out behind her, his feet catching slightly on the step, but he managed to catch himself before falling onto the gravel. 

"Tell me you didn't bring the flask." Abigail's whisper was barely audible in her father's ear as she was moving her lips very little. There was always someone watching. 

"Just for emergency purposes. This day brings back a lot of memories of your mother." He muttered back. 

"Everything brings a memory of mother." She was close to scolding now.