Suspicion

Music played, soft and light. A wonderful juxtaposition of the movements her feet were making across the dance floor. Of course she wasn't alone. He was in front of her. His hand wrapped around her back holding her close to him as they waltzed in time to the dream-like music.
The atmosphere was beautiful, twinkling lights and romantic trees set the scene. However, she couldn't seem to pull her eyes away from the man in front of her. He was captivating as he stared right back at her, as if he could see into her soul.

The next thing she knew they were alone on the dance floor. Although it had felt this way the whole time, now she had no choice but to be aware of the intimacy.

He twirled her outward, away from him. She felt free. Safe, and free. As she was starting to twirl back in she could feel his grip tighten around her bare hand. She continued to spin back towards him. When she landed back in front of him, her hands landed on his chest as his shot to her waist... then their lips met.

Abigail gasped and was jolted awake. She sat up and felt her night dress stick to her body due to the sweat she was covered in. Coming to terms with reality, she thought back to what caused her to wake so suddenly. 

She had a dream. She had a dream of Anthony Bridgerton. 

She sighed out only one word, "Damnit."

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure. A sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture. That she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.
As for our mysterious Miss Abigail Bentley, she has yet to receive any proposals this season. Perhaps it is due to all the time she seems to be spending at the Bridgerton household. Could she be hoping to snare one of those handsome men? Or will she, like many of us have, come to the realization that every Bridgerton boy might forever run from the yoke?

Abigail heard the Bridgerton family talking amongst themselves as she neared the parlor. She cautiously rounded the corner of the doorway, wanting to assess the situation before she interrupted anything. 

She watched as Gregory stole a biscuit from Anthony's plate and he noticed only too late. He smiled and laughed, which made her smile herself. His expression was infectious like that. Without thinking she rounded the corner and leaned against the doorframe, continuing to gaze at him. 

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option. Although he is rather boastful... Oh Abigail!" Daphne noticed her presence and the woman in question shifted her gaze as she was pulled from her thoughts.
Although as soon as her name was announced, she could practically feel his eyes watching her.

 Was he thinking the same things as her? Did she ever inhabit his dreams? She pushed these intrusive thoughts to the side. 

"I apologize for interrupting." She said, stepping further into the room, careful not to trod on Gregory and Hyacinth's building of blocks. 

"Oh no please do." Eloise said from her slouched position on the armchair. 

"I simply came to bring you this." She moved towards Eloise and handed her the book they had discussed. 

She smiled and took the book, opening the cover, then her eyes went wide. 

"Is this a first edition?" She questioned the Bentley.  

"Yes." Abigail chuckled, careful to keep her eyes from drifting to the left, where the eldest Bridgerton sat. 

Luckily she was soon distracted as arms were wrapped around her shoulders from a hug from Eloise. Abigail was taken aback but soon smiled and hugged the seventeen year old. 

"Thank you." She said and pulled back, quickly opening it and exiting the room. 

Abby's grin grew wider as she turned to watch her leave, happy she had made an impact. Then she heard Lady Bridgerton speak. 

"My dear, you mustn't complicate matters. You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend." 

Abigail turned back the direction she was facing and finally made eye contact with Anthony. With a million thoughts running through her head and a million running through his, it'd be impossible to discern both, let alone one. Thankfully they were saved from trying as Daphne responded. 

"Oh? Oh is that it, mama? Well, how very simple indeed!" Daphne said sarcastically. 

Abby turned towards her and gave her a look. In which Daphne responded with an irritated shrug. Narrowing her eyes, she guessed that the Duke was starting to feel like Daphne's dearest friend. But she knew her friend would never admit it so she decided not to press. 

"Well, I should be going." She announced and made a move to leave the room. 

"Oh nonsense, darling, why don't you stay and have some tea? Daphne says your brother have left for school so I can't imagine you're eager to get home." Violet said, with empathy in her tone. 

"Uh, yes they have." She said and moved to sit next to her. She tried not to sound too sad, she knew how good it was for them to be out of the house. "I quite miss them if that doesn't sound too feeble. It's nowhere near as fun in the house with just Father and I." 

"Ah yes, how is your father? I don't see him at anything nowadays." Benedict questioned from the couch across her

'Probably because I don't want him out of the house.' She thought, but thankfully didn't say out loud. 

"He... he isn't one for balls." She danced around the question. "And he's always been a terrible betting man, so I doubt you'd see him at any clubs." 

Anthony watched as she smiled and laughed around the question. Something struck him as odd. He didn't mean to pretend he knew her so well, but he couldn't deny the connection they felt.

And whilst the connection would normally make his chest tighten or his head spin, at the moment it was telling him that something was off. She wasn't telling the whole truth. He couldn't explain why he cared, but he did. And whatever was going on, he was sure he'd find out.

(Ahhh! Ok I have a ball scene coming up next where *something* might happen between them)