Advise

Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware, indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship or indignity? Or, will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all: a true love match?

Bets must be placed now, I gather, as to how the marriage between Miss Bentley and Lord Bridgerton will turn out to be. If you, dear reader, missed the opera concert last Sunday eve, then you missed quite the announcement indeed. Lord Anthony Bridgerton and Miss Abigail Bentley are to be married at the end of the month. Just as this author predicted, she is pleased to say.

Every person of the ton is, of course, free to believe what they wish, but if my sources are correct, I would wager a true love match has been made. So, I shall send best wishes to the engaged couple, and prayers that they will last the wedding planning process. For this author knows that is enough to tear even the strongest couples apart.

"Then where did you meet her?" Eloise's voice closely followed the quick pace of Benedict's footsteps. 

"About town." He responded, curtly. 

"At her shop?" 

"Should you not be off somewhere getting ready to attend your very first ball?" 

He really said it just to shut her up, but if he thought this would work, then he didn't know his sister. For she simply dove further into pestering him. 

"What other places might she frequent besides her shop?"

Abigail's voice cut through the conversation before Benedict could scream the reply he so obviously was preparing. 

"El, leave alone what business isn't yours. If you're desperate for something to occupy your mind, you could certainly help me over here." 

Abigail occupied almost half the drawing room, surrounded by a multitude of papers and servants. All morning she had been answering questions pertaining to guests, floral arrangements, and menus. And in total honesty, she was not enjoying herself. Oh sure, she originally believed it would be fun but that was before she truly started, and realized simply how much needed to get done in the mere two weeks before her wedding day. In truth, she was drowning. 

"Yes, leave me alone and help Abigail with the women's work." He had settled on the other side of the drawing room with his sketchbook and seemed in immense relief at Abby's suggestion. 

"Do not make me regret helping you, Benedict." Her tone quickly shifted to a warning one as she had little patience to begin with. "I could just as easily make you come and help me with all this." 

Before he could reply however, Anthony entered the room. Attention shifted toward him, and his siblings noticed how he seemed to relax the instant he laid eyes on his fiancé. 

"So this is why I haven't seen you for nearly two days." He was half kidding, half complaining. 

Eloise and Benedict simply looked at each other in amusement. He was already a completely changed man from the one they had known nearly a month ago. Eloise went back to whispering her annoying inquiries about Madame Delacroix, while the couple continued their own conversation. 

Abigail gave Anthony an apologetic look and set down one of the stacks of papers she was holding. 

"Well, I'm about to take a break for some tea, would you care to join me?"