Propose

Abigail walked up the familiar steps of the Bridgerton household, immediately parting ways with Olivia once inside. One would think she'd be used to it by now, and to a certain level she was, but as a footman escorted her upstairs she couldn't deny the sense of warmth she enjoyed feeling every time she entered the house. 

She was here under the guise of paying Daphne a visit, but really, she was looking for Anthony. It had been almost four days since the gallery showing at Somerset house and she had yet to see him at any social function. Impatient with waiting, she decided this morning to go straight to the source. 

The footman dropped her off at the drawing room, and she nodded to him that she was fine to be left there. She didn't stay, however. Once she was sure the footman had left, she exited the drawing room and proceeded to search for his study down the hallway. It wasn't difficult to locate, the large doors were open and she could see him scribbling away with his quill. 

She had to catch herself not to simply stand in the doorway and stare. She entered the room and lightly knocked on the open door next to her, to announce her presence. He looked up, and for a moment, she could make out a sense of shock on his face, but he recovered it quickly.

"Have you, um, seen your sister?" She asked, attempting to start the conversation.  

"You will have to be more specific," He said in an oddly cold tone. "I have quite a few." 

"Daphne." She simply responded, taken aback by his lack of warmth or essentially any emotion at all.

"Last I heard, she went to the modiste with mother." He replied, simply, then turned his head downward and back toward his books. 

"Ah, I see..." she trailed off. 

She wasn't sure what she should do. Sure, she had just been informed that the person she came to see wasn't here, but the person she had really come to see was sitting right in front of her, acting as cold as ever. She made to leave, but lingered, staring at him in confusion. 

"Is there anything else?" He didn't even look up from his writing at this time. 

"Is there—" she started to repeat back in astonishment. "You left rather abruptly at Somerset." She changed courses, trying to get to the real point. 

"Yes well, loads to do." He stood and closed his book, apparently packing up his things. "Unlike others my life isn't all attending parties and charming men." 

That was low. Something else was going on with him. Even if Anthony was mad at her, he normally would retain a certain level of class. Something was bothering him.

With his breifcase in hand, he moved to pass her and exit the room. But before he could do so, her arm reached out, almost of its own accord and blocked his path. 

"You are blocking my way." He stated, looking at her but somehow avoiding her eyes. 

"Yes," she started, harshly. "Believe it or not that was my intention." 

"Well, what is it?" He still wasn't making eye contact with her. 

"What is it?" She repeated back angrily, her hand still blocking his path on the doorframe. "I tried to talk to you at the gallery and, correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed as if you wanted to talk to me as well." 

"Yes, well— that was then." He said too quickly, and made to move again. 

This time, not only was her arm there, but she stopped her body in front of him as well. 

"Oh no, you will not leave through this door until you talk to me, or at least look me in the eye." She said, stubbornly. 

It took him a moment but finally, he looked up and into her eyes. He seemed to be having a sort of internal battle, but she couldn't tell with what. 

"If you recall..." He was not having an easy time forming words as he maintained eye contact with her. "That almost-conversation was interrupted by the Prince. I, I could never— I would never want to stop you from such an advantageous marriage. You have made it clear you need this, and I wouldn't dream of stopping you from such things." He finally ducked his head at the last sentence. 

That's when everything clicked. He was trying to help, in his own, somewhat irritating way. But he didn't understand, she had to make that clear to him.

"What I need... I don't care about the prince. He's very nice, and would make a wonderful husband, I'm sure. But not to me. I- I don't want--" she fumbled with her own words. 

But it didn't matter, for mere moments after she began to stutter, his lips were on hers. It didn't take much for him to give in to this desire, for he'd been wanting to for several days now. 

His book bag dropped and his arms wrapped around her waist, gleefully picking her up from the floor and spinning her around. She smiled into the kiss as she clung onto his shoulders for balance. He set her back on the floor and they broke apart. 

"I want to marry you, Abiagil." He said almost immediately. "I never thought I'd say that but it's true." 

She laughed and cupped his cheek with her hand to pull him into another kiss. And just like that, they were wrapped in another embrace. 

He pulled apart again, "Can I take that as a yes?" 

"In every language." She smiled, broadly. 

He was about to say something, when they both heard the voice of his sister making her way down the hall. 

"Abigail?" She called. 

Abby stole one quick kiss from Anthony before whispering, "We'll discuss this later."

She swiftly exited the study and found Daphne facing the opposite direction as her, making her way down the hall. 

"I'm here." She stated. 

Her friend turned around and Abigail noted the determined look on her face. 

"Ah, Mrs. Wilson said you were here." She walked forward and grabbed Abby's hand to pull her into her room. "Come, I must ask you something." 

Once in Daphne's bedroom, she pulled Abby to the bench at the end of the bed and looked her in the eye. 

"Alright, I know the Prince has shown interest in you as well." Daphne began. "I was just wondering if your intentions were serious with him." 

Abigail blushed, thinking back to moments before with Anthony. 

"No, no they are not." 

Daphne looked relieved, the mischievous glint appeared back in her eye. Abby raised an eyebrow, apprehensively. 

"Alright then, I need your help." 

She was up to something, but nothing that Abigail could guess. She did, though, had a feeling this would be an interesting ride.

(Ok finally! Anthony proposed!! Unfortunately I do not have an easy time planned for them, so enjoy the fluff while you can!)