Complicated

Anthony stood in the midst of the pews as he heard the church bells ringing in the distance. He contemplated his surroundings and recalled a time when he used to run from the prospect of having to walk down this aisle one day. Now, it felt different. Now, when he thought of walking down the aisle for her, all feelings of dread he might have had melted away. 

But he shook himself free of these thoughts. That was not why he was here. He was here for his sister, not Abigail. No matter how much he wished it were different. 

Did she still want to marry him? She hadn't even spoken to him in the past day. What was going on? 

"Apologies for my tardiness" The Duke's voice echoed as he entered the chapel. 

"Not at all." Anthony assured. "The archbishop is yet to arrive." 

The two men stood next to each other in the middle of the aisle, an awkward silence passing between them. No doubt, both were recalling the last time they were together, in which each had a gun pointed at the other. 

It took several more awkward moments to pass before Anthony finally broke the silence. 

"We should discuss the matter of Daphne's dowry." He began, but the Duke responded with the speed of light. 

"There is nothing to discuss. I will not accept one." 

Caught off guard, Anthony said, "I beg your pardon?" 

"I need not be paid to marry Daphne. It is frankly an insulting custom in my judgement. You may place the money in trust for her, if you'd like." Simon further explained. "But you need not harbor any doubts of my intentions to support your sister. Her well being is my responsibility now. I take that duty with the utmost seriousness." 

This was not something Anthony was expecting. Far from being angry with him anymore, he was impressed. Realizing Simon most likely deserved an apology, he shifted the conversation.\

"I must apologize for, uh... well..." He could not seem to find a polite or delicate way to state his words. 

"Shooting at me?" Simon supplied in a much more blunt manor. 

"Indeed." Anthony confirmed. 

Simon chuckled softly at this. 

"I would have thought you dishonorable had you not." Simon assured. "Besides you have always been a terrible shot. I mean surely, you'd have stood a greater chance of wounding me if you had simply fired straight up in the air." He joked. 

Anthony, who assumed he should have been offended, simply laughed. Glad they were able to joke again.

"May I speak freely?" The Duke asked. 

"I dare say you've earned it." Anthony responded. 

"Are you..." He paused. "What is Miss Bentley to you now?" Simon finally asked. "The last I checked things were 'complicated', as you so wittingly put it, and now I know something must have happened for she was with you in the garden as well." 

"Ah, yes... I suppose you must think me a hypocrite to have been alone with a lady as well." Guessed Anthony. 

"I don't know what to think, that is why I am asking." Simon assured.

"I asked her to marry me." He said simply. 

The Duke gave a boisterous laugh and clapped him on the shoulder. 

"Well done, Bridgerton!" But then he paused and his grip loosened. "She did say yes didn't she?" 

"Yes. Yes she did. And for a half a second, we were happy. But um, something's changed. Since the duel she hasn't looked at me or spoken to me... I just wish she would tell me what is going on." He trailed off, more thinking aloud.