Intrigue

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display.

The Danbury ball was indeed a very difficult invitation to obtain, and Abigail was surprised to see her invite when she had received it. Abby had a sneaking suspicion Lady Danbury was softer than she let on. 

So, here she was, sitting in front of her vanity as Olivia put the finishing touches on her hair, in one of her most expensive gowns. For as much as she was grateful for the invitation, it made her nervous. Not for the reasons most debutantes would be, but for a very potentially reputation- destroying reason. 

Her largest concern by far, was her father. For as much as she was ready to take on the burden of finding a match by herself, she could not attend a ball unescorted, which meant her father had to remain sober enough not to embarrass herself and her family's name. 

"Thank you Olivia." Abby sighed out. "If you could just hand me my gloves, then I'll be ready."
"You truly look lovely, miss." Olivia told her as she handed her the satin gloves. "Just like your mother." 

Abigail could feel tears pressing in on the back of her eyes, but she inhaled deeply to keep them at bay. 

"Thank you, Olivia. Although, I have to say, if I do it's all because of you. You did an extraordinary job with my hair." Abby complimented and turned with her back still facing the full length mirror so as to better see the back of the complicated updo Olivia had twisted her curls into. 

She was truly stunning, with her hair sparkling when she caught the light due to the jeweled berets woven in. As well as her glittering pale green dress flattering her figure. Her maid was right, she looked just like her mother. 

Abby gave Olivia a final nod and smile as she pulled on her elbow length gloves and exited her room. Before descending the stairs, she poked her head into the night nursery to check on her brothers. Their nanny sat in a chair with her needle work and both the boys sat in their beds reading picture books. 

"Shouldn't you two be asleep?" She playfully questioned as she entered the room. 

"Abby!" Calvin exclaimed and put his book down then sat up on his knees. 

"Woah! You look like a princess!" Benjamin awed as he watched her dress twinkle in the lamp light of their room. 

"Why thank you kind sir." Abby responded with a mock curtsy. 

"I wish we could go with you tonight!" Calvin whined. 

Abby chuckled and walked over to her youngest brother. 

"Someday." She tucked the blanket in on him and kissed his forehead. "But for now, you two need to get some sleep." 

She walked over to Benjamin and repeated her actions. 

"Good night you two. Goodnight nanny." She whispered with her hand on the doorknob. 

"Goodnight miss." Abby heard as she closed the door softly. 

The debutante descended the stairs and proceeded to look for her father in the parlor. There she found him, gulping down yet another glass of brandy. 

Sighing a frustrated sigh she broke the silence of the room, "I understand today makes you think of mother, but I need you to keep yourself under control tonight." 

Her father turned and his breath seemed to catch in his throat. "You-you look just like her." He closed his eyes and went to pour another glass. 

Abigail crossed the room and laid a hand on the bottle cap in one swift motion, effectively stopping him from acquiring another pour.