Bravado

Abigail tiptoed across the hard wood floors on the hallway of the Bridgerton household. She had informed her maid and the household staff that she would be staying there for the night, making some excuse about Daphne and herself not wanting to separate. In reality, she simply couldn't leave when she knew Anthony was about to ride off to either his death or his exile. Her maid had dressed her for bed and tied her hair in a plat, but she knew she couldn't sit and do nothing. So, she slipped on her flats and now was making her way to Daphne's room. 

Knocking softly, she didn't wait for a response before slipping into the room. As it would appear, Daphne was up and pacing. 

"I see you couldn't sleep either." Abigail said. 

"How could I?" Daphne threw her arms up exasperatedly. "Either way, I have a man I love's death on my hands!" She shouted in a whisper.

"Well then, what are we going to do?" Abby questioned, needing a solution. 

"What can we do?" Daphne echoed, continuing to pace. "They are completely stubborn, and idiotic and they have no reason to—" but she stopped mid sentence. 

"Daph?" Abby prompted, stepping closer. 

"We were seen." Daphne whispered in shock. 

"What?" 

"Cressida Cowper." Daphne whipped around to face her. "She-she asked me if I caught a chill in the garden... oh my god." Her hand flew to her mouth. 

After a few moments of pure shock, Abigail sprung into action. 

"Right. Here's what we're to do." 

—- 

Anthony gave Simon a hard, loathing stare as their seconds inspected the guns. He hated him. Hated him for defiling his sister. Hated him for ripping himself of any chance of happiness within society. He didn't even get to say goodbye to Abigail. Not that he didn't try, but she wouldn't acknowledge him after they arrived home. He didn't care though. It was easier, if they made a clean break now. 

"For what it is worth," Simon's voice pulled him from his thoughts. "I am sorry." 

"Your apology is worth nothing to me." He spit back almost immediately. 

His brother handed him his gun and both men turned back to back, cocking their pistols. 

"Ready!" He called. 

"Ready." He heard in response from behind him. 

They each began to take, slow, methodical steps forward.  

One. Two. Three... he counted in his head. Purposefully, he shoved all other thoughts aside. 

Ten. 

He began to turn and as he did so, watched as Simon stuck his pistol to the sky. He stretched his own out, pausing for a moment as determination set in his eyes. Then he fired. 

Only after the bullet had left the gun did he hear the voice of his sister yell, "Stop!"

She fell from her horse, landing motionless on the ground.

"Daphne!" 

"Sister!"

They both ran toward her as she lay, sprawled on the ground. Landing on the grass in front of her, he felt the panic rise, then immediately drop, as she began to move. 

"Oh, good God." He let out. 

"Are you hurt? Tell me!" The Duke insisted, not moving from the spot in front of her. 

She began to stand and said, "I am perfectly well, no thanks to you idiots." 

"What the hell do you think you're playing at?" Anthony questioned in aggravation. 

"Says the man who just shot at me!" She replied with a comeback. 

"You just rode into the middle of a duel!" He continued to shout. 

She took a breath before saying, "I require a moment with the Duke." 

"Daphne—"Anthony tried to interrupt but Daphne insisted. 

"I require a moment with the Duke." She said with finality. 

Benedict separated them and Anthony watched as they both walked off to have a private conversation. What they were saying he did not know, but he looked around to see who had brought her here, and noticed Colin. After giving him a rather pointed look, he scanned further, but did not see anyone else who was not already there. 

He wasn't sure what he was hoping for. Maybe just to see her. But he assured himself that this was the last place he would want to find her. 

Having had enough he walked forward and interrupted. 

"We must resume before someone should find us." He stated. 

The Duke walked back toward them but before they could even get a hand on their pistols Daphne's voice rang out.

"There will be no need to resume. The Duke and I are to be married." She announced. 

Everyone stared at her in shock. Several moments passed before he finally came to his senses. He was about to protest but before he could, he heard a horse let out a cry to his left. Turning, he saw Abigail, wearing a cloak similar to Daphne's to cover her night dress, and her hair blowing out of its plat as she rode the horse with great speed. It grew closer and came to a swift halt. She only said a few words. 

"The police will be here in five minutes. I haven't given them any names, just a location." She locked eyes with him. "I suggest you scatter." 

And with that she motioned to Daphne, who got back on her own horse and they rode off in the same direction, leaving all the men momentarily in shock as they stared after them.

(Ok! So I just gave you all 3 chapters in 2 days... I don't know what to say, I just felt inspired! Anyway, hope you liked them!)