Doubtless

"You barely know the young lady, what were you thinking?" Anthony was livid. 

He had just pushed Colin into his study, who, much to his annoyance, seemed all too calm with his brother's anger.

"I was thinking you'd respond like this and how little I would care to hear it." Colin responded, and sat nicely on one of the many armchairs. 

"Do you think this is a joke?" Anthony almost laughed at his ignorance. "Poor Mother was beside herself."  

"Mother seems perfectly happy to me. She congratulated us." Colin defended. 

Anthony paused and backed up, he couldn't think of another reason he would marry this girl he barely knew.

"So, you compromised this young lady?" He accused. 

"Certainly not. I am a gentleman." 

"Then why ever would you—"

"Why does anyone marry, brother? For love, of course." 

Anthony couldn't stop himself before he laughed, scoffed, even. 

"Love? Oh dear God, what do you know of love?" 

"Oh and you know something about it?" Colin stood, offended. 

"I certainly know more than you!" They were practically shouting at each other now. 

"Oh and which young lady has had the fortune of your proposal?" Colin asked, incredulously. 

"That'd be me." Abigail said from the doorway, a voice of calm in the storm. 

In all the shouting, neither two men noticed how she had opened the door and was leaning against the archway. 

"Wha--" Colin looked between the two. "You two?" 

They looked at each other with a sort of longing. Colin was overtook with a wave of guilt, not so much towards his brother, for he was much too stubborn and had insulted Marina, but towards Abigail.

"Oh, Abigail I'm— I'm so sorry." Colin walked toward her in an attempt to show his sincerity. 

"It's alright Colin." Abby responded with politeness in her tone. 

Anthony scoffed, it was very much not alright from his perspective. Abigail gave him a look, then turned her attention back towards his brother. 

"I am happy for you. We'll figure something out." 

Colin smiled and for the first time recognized how wonderful of a person she was. He didn't know what she saw in his brother. He cleared his throat and turned back to Anthony. 

"If I caused mother discomfort today then I am sorry for it. I shall speak with her." His words were now formal. "And I am now aware that I have stood in your way, and I do apologize for that... but I would still very much prefer your blessing." 

"Then I am afraid I must disappoint you." Anthony responded from his chair. 

"You have... in more ways than one." With that, Colin walked past Abigail and exited the study at a brisk pace. 

Abigail stayed in her place, with her arms crossed and her body facing towards the bookshelves. 

"You're too harsh with him." She noted while looking at the floor, apparently thinking. 

"Oh, not you too." Anthony stood and made a beeline for his drink cart. 

"Ever think that if something is repeated to you, it might be for a reason?" She watched his back as he poured the brown liquid into a crystal glass. 

Once the glass was in hand, he turned and locked eyes with her, his eyes clearly still ablaze with anger. 

"Abigail— not only did he wreck every hope of announcing our engagement, but he has made our lives ten times more complicated in the process, and my mother—"

"Hey." She cut him off by putting her hands on either side of his face. 

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, enjoying her calming presence and her intoxicating scent. 

"We are going to figure this out." She assured him in what she hoped was a firm voice. 

He set his drink down and brought his hands up to hers, moving her palm so he could kiss it. It was these moments that made her sure that this was going to work. 

"Do you never doubt?" He asked in a soft voice. 

He needed reassurance. He was vulnerable right now. 

"It took me a moment to realize, but now I know. For as much trouble as this relationship may bring, it's worth it." 

She leaned upward to kiss his cheek. However, she was intercepted as his face turned and he caught her on the lips. She smiled, as did he, and they both felt an immense happiness at that moment. 

"Alright," She pulled back. "Here's what we're to do." 

He nodded his head in acknowledgment, and his hands snaked around her back, while hers found his shirt collar. 

"You are going to gage your mother's reaction to Colin's announcement, and see how soon we can talk to her. I am going to go home and talk to my father." She announced the last part rather begrudgingly. 

Anthony immediately began shaking his head. 

"No. I don't like you going over there. The whole point of you having a room here was so you wouldn't have to go back home as often." 

"Anthony, he would never hurt me... physically." 

"If you are going then I am coming with you." He tried to insist. 

"No." She said. 

"Abigail—"

"No. My father and I have some words that need to be said, and you really do not need to see that." 

He sighed, frustrated. "Alright. But you come back afterwards." 

"Aye aye, Captain." She chuckled. 

"You make light, but I'm serious." He squeezed her waist to further make his point. 

"I understand." She assured. 

Leaning up to give him a quick kiss, she pulled away. Before turning around, she spotted his half filled drink on his desk. Without thinking, she reached for it and threw it back, feeling the need for a little liquid courage. Handing him the glass as he wore an impressed look upon his face, she turned and exited his study with determination.

(Shorter chapter, but I feel like it's a miracle I got to updating at all)