Rescue

For, while those who have been successful in the year's marriage market look forward to flaunting their perfect, joyous unions...Others shudder at the thought of spending one last night before the discerning eyes of the ton.

As they know, indeed, just what the evening signifies, that their time is officially up.
And yet, to those who may still find themselves out of both choices and hope, fear not. For who knows when and where one's fortune may change.

"Ah! Abigail, good to see you!" Daphne beamed, noticing her best friend descend the stairs on her brother's arm. 

"Oh sure, it's all about Abigail. Now the brother is chopped liver." Anthony's comment could have seemed serious but the sarcasm in his tone betrayed him. 

"Welcome in." Simon cut in before Daphne could make another comment. 

"Your Graces, thank you for having us." Abigail finally spoke and leaned in to hug Daphne while Anthony reached for Hasting's hand. 

"Where's Mama and Eloise? I thought they were coming with you." Daphne questioned. 

"They're coming..." Abigail started, not sure how to phrase the rest. 

"Eloise had some trouble negotiating with Mother." Anthony finished. 

"Of course she did." Daphne rolled her eyes. "Well, it is mostly the same group of people, although I'd steer clear of the southeast corner." 

Daphne winked towards Abby and she spared a glance. Sure enough, Cressida and her crones were circling like vultures. 

Abigail gave a nod in understanding while Anthony and Simon merely exchanged questioning glances. 

"When Daphne and I were younger we used to see who could avoid Cressida Cowper the longest." Abby said in way of explanation.

"I held the record." The Duchess didn't even bother to hide the smug tone in her voice. 

"Only because you threw me into the lion's den!" 

Before the squabble could continue, however, Colin's voice could be heard approaching them. 

"Not to interrupt, but the Duke and Duchess have a small queue forming." 

Looking back Abigail noticed the line of guests waiting to be welcomed into the ball. 

Anthony gracefully took Abby's arm and said goodbye for the both of them. He pulled his brothers, as well as herself, away.

"Well they seem happier." Abby said, mostly to herself, but forgot who was near her. 

"What?" Anthony questioned from beside her, while Benedict added a "What do you mean?" 

"Uh, nothing. I-I just knew they were in an argument..." 

"What kind of argument?" It was Colin's turn to speak apparently. 

They had pulled over to a side of the ballroom and each Bridgerton was staring at her with intensity. 

"You know, I am currently realizing that this is most likely not something I should discuss with Daphne's brothers so..." Her eyes scanned for a way out. "Ah, I believe I will visit with Penelope." 

Before any of them could protest, she slipped away and was making a beeline for Penelope, she hadn't seen her in ages. 

——

So far, the night was turning out to be a huge success. The ballroom, beautifully decorated, was alive with laughter and music. Everyone seemed to be having a grand time. Well, mostly everyone. Eloise looked as if she was ready to keel over at any given moment. Out of boredom or fear no one was sure. 

Eloise stood with her brothers and was seriously considering taking up Daphne's offer to use the library, when something caught her attention. Her soon to be sister-in-law was across the room, looking considerably uncomfortable. She was speaking to... oh blast, she couldn't tell. Her height often proved to be a disadvantage. 

"Who's that Abigail is talking to?" She voiced her thoughts, interrupting whatever conversation she didn't care about. 

"Hm?" Anthony turned to scan the ballroom. 

"Over there, near the champagne table." 

By now, every Bridgerton brother had their attention directed across the ballroom. 

"I believe that's Mr. Twombly. Good God, horrid man" Benedict spoke, being the tallest of them all. 

"If you'll excuse me." Anthony made to leave, but was stopped by a hand on his shoulder. 

"Not so fast, Bridgerton." Simon had somehow made his way to them. "I've had my fair share of crosses with Twombly, and I don't need a scene made at my wife's ball." 

"I will not leave Abby alone with pretentious scum, such as him."

"No need, I believe if your brothers will help me, this could be rather fun." 

"Well, I'm certainly not going to miss this." Colin spoke with a bit too much enthusiasm in his voice. 

The men made their way across the ballroom and began to hear the conversation being exchanged between Abigail and Mr. Twombly. 

"Sir, if you have something to say—"

"I am saying nothing. Just a simple observation that your circumstances have miraculously changed. I mean, it's wonderful, one minute you're alone with a drunken father and the next—"

"Ah, Twombly! We're not threatening people are we?" Simon didn't bother to hide the annoyance in his voice as he approached the conversation with Colin and Benedict.

They all took a spot in the conversation, standing next to Abby, almost like security. It should have felt strange to her, but at the moment she felt so relieved that she didn't have to defend herself and her family again, she decided she was alright with it. 

"Uh, Your Grace I can assure you—"

"But of course he was. He's the fourth son of a penny pinching family, he needs to seem more powerful than he actually is." Benedict had lost his coyness as well apparently. 

"Excuse me but—" 

"Twombly, even in school you were challenging one duel after another. And if anyone thought you were serious, we all knew too well we could have taken you." Simon continued. "I suggest you leave and we won't tell my brother-in-law you were making his fiancé uncomfortable." 

Mr. Twombly seemed to receive the message that he was outnumbered. He swallowed and gave a weak smile before walking away. 

Abigail let out an audible sigh of relief. 

"Horrid man, however did you end up in a conversation with him?" Colin turned toward her. 

"I was trying to walk back to you, but he interrupted me." She placed a hand on her forehead, feeling how hot she had become. 

Anthony's voice filled her ears and she couldn't have been more grateful. 

"Am I allowed to join you now?" 

She turned to see him next to her and reached for his hand. 

"They wouldn't let me rescue you." He rolled his eyes and pulled her hand up to give it a quick kiss. 

"Well, you must admit Bridgerton, this was much more fun." Simon chuckled. 

"On that note, thank you for the save." Abby spoke up.

"Anytime. Now if you will excuse me, I believe I have promised a dance with my wife." 

They all watched him go and meet Daphne in the middle of the dance floor. They looked happy, or at least completely in love with each other. 

As more and more couples joined them, Abigail felt a tug on her hand. Anthony was pulling her onto the floor. Whatever happened next, during the night or through the rest of her life, couldn't have mattered; because right now, she was completely and incandescently happy.

(This is by far the longest of the last ones so I hope u enjoyed it!! 2/3)